Esteemed Contributor

Luggage Recommendations.... wanting to pack efficiently

Traveling on American airlines.  I am usually on Southwest so I have never had to pay for bags before.  In this case I am traveling with my hubby to Hawaii in May.  I am going to check ONE bag. I DO NOT KNOW HOW BIG??? I do know it has to be less than 50 pounds.  I  know I can take on a personal item???  I also know that I can take one carry on???  For the checked bag I am thinking soft sides.  I own just about everything including Vera Bradley duffles,  weekenders, etc.  

Notice the question marks.  These are questions.  What do you suggest for the checked bag, the carry on bag and the personal item?  I am trying to avoid too many fees.  I am spoiled by Southwest policy but I have no choice but to fly American or walk.LOL. 

We will be on a cruise for 7 days.  We will stay in a hotel beforehand for 4.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Luggage Recommendations.... wanting to pack efficiently

I suggest you go to Americans site, AA.com.  they have all the information on baggage requirements.  The checked bag can be large, the carry on a smaller roller bag or Vera Bradley type and can go in the overhead.  Personl item is a purse that can fit under your seat.

Contributor

Agree you should review American Airlines policy online .  Some of their fares are considered economy  which unfortunately  does not allow a carry on,  Crazy  I know but beware  as many people don't realize  until they are boarding    This may have  changed due to such inconvenience  to passengers.  I think tj Maxx has a great selection of light  suitcases  and a lug bag is a fantastic  personal carry on.  Most important have a wonderful  trip ! !!  

Honored Contributor

Gosh @bonnielu , you haven't even acknowledged the many responses on your last post re: buying down jackets yet, and you're on to a new question about this trip?  Some people did a lot of research and spent a lot of time trying to help you.  Perhaps you should help yourself.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Just so you all know I am grateful for every answer I get.  I suffer from vertigo and it strikes quickly and sets me back.  I do try to send thank you notices when I am upright as I am right this moment.  We are taking a trip in May and I plan ahead because every day I wake up I have no clue what to expect.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu - I used to rely on my Vera bags, and I still do sometimes. But for flying, I really like Lug. I always use this one as my checked bag. I've been away for a week, and it holds everything I need. I pack it, then take half out! I've never been known as a "light" packer! But I was surprised at how much this really held. A lot of people use this as their carry on; I use another bag. Be sure you weigh it once it's packed - if it's over the checked weight limit you'll have to make changes when you get to the airport or pay a hefty fine.

LUG Propeller Two

How wonderful you get to go to Hawaii! I've never been- maybe someday! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Don’t overpack, I think that is the biggest mistake - people take way too many clothes for every eventuality, hauling tons of luggage can ruin a good vacation.

If you plan to carry on a small piece of luggage onto the plane, make sure it has wheels, you will probably be walking long-distances through airports once you have checked your large piece of luggage in.

Find out also what will be available at hotels and on shipboard.  Will you have hairdryers available to you? When I travel for a month, everything I have fits into a carry-on piece of luggage since so many things are made of lightweight materials these days.

look up the packing tips on line. They are a great help. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

VI'm not sure what you mean by soft sided luggage.  If you mean checking something like vera bradley I would not. Bags are beaten up and thrown around all the time.  If you mean a regular suitcase that isn't hard sided, then that is fine to check.  

I've used travel pro for years, and flight crews use them, so I guess that's a recommendation.  

When I went on a cruise the experienced people, I wasn't one of them, had small bags on wheels (I've seen them on qvc but don't know an item number), because the line to get off the ship was long and the walk was longer, so pulling a small bag was really smart. (Odd how getting on the ship was so much easier than getting off, and I put my big bag out the night before too.)

This little bag could serve as your carryon also and make getting through an airport easy.  

Edited to suggest item H177218 as a carryon/cruise bag

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I suggest you go to Americans site, AA.com.  they have all the information on baggage requirements.  The checked bag can be large, the carry on a smaller roller bag or Vera Bradley type and can go in the overhead.  Personl item is a purse that can fit under your seat.

Yes, check with American to see their specific bag size requirements.

The personal item doesn't have to be a purse, but it does have to fit under the seat while another bag can go overhead. I can bring one wheelie bag on board (I like the Lug Propeller 2) and I can get a tote or small duffel under the seat. I've even shoved a completely full Lug Boxer 2 under the seat, but it was a tight fit and I had to pull a sweater out and wear it, so I picked something smaller the next time. Smiley Happy 

The Vera Bradley site lets you sort Weekender bags by size and you can click a button to see which are "personal item" compliant (fit under a seat) and which are "carry-on" compliant (fit overhead). That may help you determine which of your Vera Bradley bags is a good fit. From there, I would compare the dimensions against those on the America Airlines site to be sure. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu, you've started at least 7 threads about a trip that isn't happening until next May, including duplicate threads regarding luggage and purchasing down jackets (that you won't need). You've been given lots of information regarding luggage, but keep coming back with essentially the same questions. Even the most seasoned traveler doesn't have anything more to offer than what you've already been told. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~