Regular Contributor

Just wondering which everyone prefers....2 or 4 wheeled luggage.   I am somewhat of a luggage addict and have purchased way more styles and brands than I will ever need,

In my experience the 4 wheel spinner type only moves smoothly if empty.  Once packed the wheels don't like to ccoperate and the bag doesn't roll easily by your side. I find myself having to bend over with 1 hand on the handle and the other pushing/guiding the top of the bag.

I much prefer the 2 inline skate wheeled type.  I can pull it behind me or push it in front with little problems.  It is also better on uneven surfaces.

What are your experiences? 

Contributor

Re: Luggage....2 or 4 wheels?

we have both I prefer the 4 wheel. We never have issues with it moving smoothly. 

Honored Contributor

@Miss Shelly I know what you mean. I kind of agree with you and prefer the two inline wheeled type. I used my first four-wheel one (Lori Greiner's Weekender) this past March for a weekend that included four separate flights. I felt I had to work a bit harder at keeping it with me (not cooperating with me......zigging when I want to zag!). Besides that, the shape was boxier and just didn't work for me. Gave it away this summer.

However, I did get the Lug Puddle Jumper Wheelie and its four wheels are cooperating more with my walking. I have been playing with it over different surfaces at home, quickly turning left and right, etc. And I believe it will work as I expect it to when I am at the airport.

Perhaps it depends upon the make of the luggage and how they manufacture the wheels. I will know for sure when I use it to go to Japan in March. If I have the same problems I did with Lori's, then I will give it away too and stick with the two-wheeled inline models. Actually, I prefer pulling the luggage as opposed to having it ride side-by-side with me. 

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on the size of the luggage you are using to travel with. For my carry on I have one with 2 wheels and have no issue with it. I have a 4 wheel check in that is hard to pull once filled. If I have a lighter bag then I can move it with little effort. I am going to give this one away and buy one with 2 wheels like I used to have many years ago. I have an older Samsonite check in larger bag with 2 wheels but the zipper needs to be fixed. I may get that repaired rather than buy a new bag. Good luck finding a bag that works for you. 

Respected Contributor

I travel alot and the 2 wheel is easiest to pull when walking fast through an airport. It's also lighter weight if you are the one who has to pick it up to load in a car, on the train, or in an overhead.

I  also like to stack my purse or a small carry bag on top of it. I see people with the four wheel versions and they look extremely awkward with them. If you were only moving between Baggage Claim and your car the 4 wheel would be fine but it looks a lot slower going.  

Also the only time my suitcases get damaged are the wheels, and I look for suitcases that the wheels are not prominent but are built into the corners of the suitcase. You'll see what I'm talking about when you look at luggage.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband travels A LOT with luggage that can be very heavy.  He has only ever used a two wheel.  He thinks the wheels on the four wheel cases would be more likely to get broken off because they stick out more.  I don't know if that is true or not.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I only use 2 wheeled bags. I think the wheels on the 4 wheeled spinner bags protrude from the bottom of the bag too much and are just begging to get snapped off. Plus, wheels count when you measure the bag to make sure it complies with airline size restrictions, and can easily make the bag too big to fit in the overhead bin properly. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

Thanks for replies.   I had a set of Samantha Brown with 4 spinners that I gave up on.  Though the wheels were sturdy, I have seen other brands that I know would not survive being checked on a plane.  

Joy Mangone has some interesting wheels that are roller balls embedded into the bottom that I saw at the HSN outlet.  I wheeled it all around the store and it seemed fine, but, I have so much luggage now that I didn't buy it.  

I've had a good run with High Sierra's inline skate wheels on many trips.   2 years ago a bought a Tumi set on sale and have yet to use it as I can't find a trip I feel worthy enough to take it.  It's a family joke that they will haul around my ashes in it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have 4 wheeled luggage and using it now on my trip.  I like it and have had no trouble having the suitcase by my side.

Honored Contributor

When I was researching wheeled luggage, 8 wheels or double wheels were recommended for stability and smoother rolling, especially when packed.

That's what I ended up getting and I love it.

wheel.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN