Respected Contributor

Looking for some advice re: train travel in Switzerland

My husband and I are taking a river Cruise from Basel Switzerland next summer.

We are considering taking a Trafalgar tour that lasts 8 days and consists of 3 diferent train trips through Swizerland with hotels some nights.

Has anyone done this type of trip or used Trafalgar tours?

Please let me know. 

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for some advice re: train travel in Switzerland

Have never been on a Trafalgar tour, but I traveled extensively on the Swiss train system.  It is excellent.

Respected Contributor

@Stevie Nix wrote:

Have never been on a Trafalgar tour, but I traveled extensively on the Swiss train system.  It is excellent.

Thank you LuvMyLab; is it beautiful and worth the additional time and expense? This trip includes the Glacier Express to the Matterhorn, and stops at St. Moritz, Interlaken and Zermatt.  This will be our first trip to Switzerland. 

Our cruise takes us to Lake Lucerne (2 day land extension add on) so we will see that regardless.

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld Love your nickname!

I have used Trafalgar, although it was around 30-33 years ago. I remember them as a good tour company and have no negative memories of them. Back then, though, it was mostly traveling by a large bus. But I remember the company had us stay in very nice hotels, the drivers were very good, and the guide was great!

Please post of your experiences after your trip next summer!

Honored Contributor

Oh you're killing me!!!! May I carry your luggage?  How wonderful for you!!!!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@wonderfulworld Love your nickname!

I have used Trafalgar, although it was around 30-33 years ago. I remember them as a good tour company and have no negative memories of them. Back then, though, it was mostly traveling by a large bus. But I remember the company had us stay in very nice hotels, the drivers were very good, and the guide was great!

Please post of your experiences after your trip next summer!

I sure will! My husband is retiring and it is 'the' trip for us to celebrate.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Oh you're killing me!!!! May I carry your luggage?  How wonderful for you!!!!

Of course you can! I warn you thought that i tend to over pack. Thank you for being excited for us!!!

Valued Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@Stevie Nix wrote:

Thank you LuvMyLab; is it beautiful and worth the additional time and expense? This trip includes the Glacier Express to the Matterhorn, and stops at St. Moritz, Interlaken and Zermatt.  This will be our first trip to Switzerland. 

Our cruise takes us to Lake Lucerne (2 day land extension add on) so we will see that regardless.

Absolutely worth it!  Some of the most beautiful places on earth.  

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

My husband and I are taking a river Cruise from Basel Switzerland next summer.

We are considering taking a Trafalgar tour that lasts 8 days and consists of 3 diferent train trips through Swizerland with hotels some nights.

Has anyone done this type of trip or used Trafalgar tours?

Please let me know. 

Thanks

We've taken quite a few Trafalgar tours and with the exception of one, (southern & western England)  have enjoyed all of them

We took an all Switzerland tour but I do not remember whether it was with Trafalgar or Globus.  We had just 1 afternoon train trip. (it was when we were in St. Moritz)  Switzerland is a beautiful country.  We will be in Lucerne (my favorite city) for a few days in December.

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld your river cruise sounds like the one I was looking at with Grand Circle Travel, with the add-on.  I don't know about Switzerland but heard that Lucerne is beautiful and the river cruise sounds delightful.  So excited for you and what a wonderful way to celebrate your husband's retirement.  Looking forward to hearing all about it.