Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for some advice re: train travel in Switzerland

@JudyL wrote:

@wonderfulworld your river cruise sounds like the one I was looking at with Grand Circle Travel, with the add-on.  I don't know about Switzerland but heard that Lucerne is beautiful and the river cruise sounds delightful.  So excited for you and what a wonderful way to celebrate your husband's retirement.  Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Thank you JudyL. It is not until late next summer but I will be sure to post. Did you book yours?

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld No I didn't book my Rhine river cruise.  Think I'll do a short trip closer to home next year.  Probably 2019 though.

Super Contributor

I have not taken a Trafalgar tour, but I have been to Switzerland several times.  In fact, our first trip to Europe was to Switzerland.  We traveled exclusively by train, and it was incredible.  The scenery is truly breathtaking.  The great thing about Swiss trains is that they are incredibly reliable as well as convenient.  I remember being very nervous on that first trip because we had never been to Europe and we were traveling on our own, but it could not have been easier.  We landed in Zurich and, since there is a train station within the airport, we just hopped on the train and arrived in Lucerne in about an hour.

Lucerne is really lovely.  I also loved Interlaken, Thun and Lugano, which is situtated on a lake and is very close to the Italian border.  Lugano has palm trees and is not what anyone would picture when they think of Switzerland, but it is beautiful.

On another trip to Switzerland, we stayed in Appenzell, which is close to the Austrian border.  My husband had business in that region, so it was a great chance for me to tag along.  Appenzell is gorgeous.  The scenery there makes me think of the children's book "Heidi."  Quintessential Switzerland.  Speaking of Austria, I think it is one of the most underrated places in the world.  So beautiful.

I have not been to Zermatt, but I hear it is beautiful, and the Glacier Express train trip is on my bucket list.  You will have a wonderful time!

Super Contributor

My husband and I, both seniors, spent three weeks in Switzerland and used their train system to travel everywhere.  It was a fab experience.  Clean. Easy. Convenient.  I did some research, booked hotels, and used Trip Advisor and Rick Steves info to plan an itinerary.  If you are both able to get around, you may like your own itinerary instead of a tour.  We have also done the river cruises and they do have their benefits; however, you may want to be on your own for a time.  The people are wonderful, speak English, and there is something about creating your own adventure that makes your vacation unique to you.  We just returned from Norway and are discussing a second trip to Switzerland.   Either way, you will love Switzerland!

Respected Contributor

About 10 Years ago we took  a Trafalgar all Switzerland tour.  Ours was a bus tour.  We started and ended in Zurich with  overnight stops in Zermatt, St Moritz, Lucerne and Geneva.  There were many great stops in between.  The country is gorgeous.  The most spectacular view was from the Matterhorn.