Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@haddon9 You say: "Maybe TSA approved luggage straps with built-in locks...this will keep the bag locked and if the zipper should fail, keep the bag together."

So, what is the difference between getting a lock on your luggage and getting a strap that has a built-in lock that goes around the luggage?

There must be another reason why you don't want a lock on the luggage itself. Smiley Happy

@World Traveler  I never said that I didn't want a lock...maybe you're thinking of someone else?  I was just going back & forth on it.  Perhaps I should get one.  I think a strap would keep a suitcase from opening if for some reason TSA didn't lock it up again...I don't know since I've never used one or how they work exactly.  I'm just reviewing options.

@haddon9 Oh, you are so right. It was the original poster. Sorry Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

TSA has a master key, (much like the post office has to open the lock to your locking mailbox). It doesn’t interfere with your ability to use your own key or your own code on that lock...

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@haddon9 You say: "Maybe TSA approved luggage straps with built-in locks...this will keep the bag locked and if the zipper should fail, keep the bag together."

So, what is the difference between getting a lock on your luggage and getting a strap that has a built-in lock that goes around the luggage?

There must be another reason why you don't want a lock on the luggage itself. Smiley Happy

@World Traveler  I never said that I didn't want a lock...maybe you're thinking of someone else?  I was just going back & forth on it.  Perhaps I should get one.  I think a strap would keep a suitcase from opening if for some reason TSA didn't lock it up again...I don't know since I've never used one or how they work exactly.  I'm just reviewing options.

@haddon9 Oh, you are so right. It was the original poster. Sorry Smiley Sad

@World Traveler . I had mentioned that my suitcase had a zipper so it wouldn't pop open.  However you mentioned that sometimes zippers fail which reminded me of the time a zipper failed on one of our suitcases.  I kept thinking....what would have happened to our things if that zipper failed when loaded onto the plane?!!!  oh my goodness I can imagine everything destroyed so I appreciate you mentioning that....I don't know how I had forgotten about that!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 Back in the good old days, when you could get a good look at what the baggage handlers were doing with your luggage, it was a nightmare. LOL!!! They don't "hand" them to anyone; they just toss/throw it up and it comes down hard on the floor of the plane or on someone else's luggage. ha! 

It amazes me that the hard-shell/sided luggage makes it without cracking! I use soft-sided luggage and I am surprised that it has lasted for so many years of abuse at the airport.

My luggage zipper tabs are what have broken off, so I tie a strong, thin string/cord to pull the zipper open and closed. I suppose I could go to some luggage place and have the zipper tab replaced, but it's kind of like wrinkles on the face......it shows it has been places and seen things, all part of experience!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@haddon9 Zippers have been known to pop open if the stitching is not good or perhaps the luggage is overstuffed.

Sounds like you have already decided that you are not going to use a lock, and that is your choice. I personally would not want to make it easy for someone other than a TSA agent to get into my luggage, whether to take anything out or to put something nefarious inside.

Also, I always lock my luggage while it sits in my hotel room when I am out and about. I don't care to have the staff or anyone else rummaging thru my stuff.

Good luck!

Edited to add: I equate it to closing the door at home or on your car and not locking it. Why make it easy for someone to get in? A lock serves as a deterrent.

Also, after traveling to over 60 countries, I have seen many suitcases come down conveyor belts with the insides sprawled out for all to see. Not a pretty sight!

You may have seen mine on the belt in Jakarta years ago.   Here comes my blue duffel bag with all of my clothes pouring out of both ends.  When I got it off the belt and got all of my clothes, I could see that it had been torn or cut all around on both ends.   Fortunately, one of the baggage men had duct tape and helped me tape it enough to get to the hotel .   Nothing was missing which was shocking.   

Honored Contributor

You may have seen mine on the belt in Jakarta years ago.   Here comes my blue duffel bag with all of my clothes pouring out of both ends.  When I got it off the belt and got all of my clothes, I could see that it had been torn or cut all around on both ends.   Fortunately, one of the baggage men had duct tape and helped me tape it enough to get to the hotel .   Nothing was missing which was shocking.   

@Bridgegal LOL!!!!!  Love the fact that you were willing to share. 

Must admit, I do spy on what people pack when everything is exposed on the conveyor belt. There have been some shocking underwear that I have seen.

There was also the one time I was walking behind a gal pulling her suitcase while I was exercising up and down all the various terminals before my flight. Her suitcase popped open and she was just mortified. She kept muttering that she should have put a lock on it. 

Everyone who saw this happen wanted to help, but most were in a hurry to get to their gate, and really, I don't think anyone wanted to touch what had fallen out! ha! It does happen and we all hope it won't be us.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I got some really good answers on travel to Hawaii..... luggage suggestions.  

Someone mentioned having TSA approved locks. All my suitcases do but I have a basic question. I never lock my suitcases, even the ones I check.  I have a fear that THEY will open them for a purpose to check them out and then foul up the lock so I cannot get in.  I know it sounds crazy but if I have a code will they disrupt my code by using their way in?  I guess I don't understand the process.  

I really don't pack anything of value.  I carry what is important with me on the plane.  

I purchased my TSA approved locks from Target. Reasonably priced and sturdy.  Locks prevent anyone taking anything out of your luggage or putting anything in.  TSA uses a master key, they do not need a code.

Honored Contributor

I read on a travel blog to use electrical ties.  They way they can cut the tie if they need to get in it. 

I keep a pack inside the side pocket zipper and use one for return travel.

Also, one time my handle was ripped off and the hotel engineer tied it back on with an electrical tie, so they are good to keep on have for travel in general.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

I travel several times a year and would never lock my bags.  But, I never put electronics, makeup, jewelry or extra eyeglasses in --- my "needs"!  The one time I did put all my phone chargers, cords etc. in the checked----all were stolen.  OK, so I go buy locks---as did my travel partner----her locks were cut off by TSA along with a note they had opened and checked her bag.  I thought TSA could open with a key??? not break the locks?  Seems loke a can't win for losing story! LOL   But, in do continue to use locks even tho NO valuable of any sort is put in my checked bag.

Respected Contributor

I ALWAYS lock my bag if it's going to be checked. ALWAYS! I also lock my 21" rollerboard bag if I'm on a smaller aircraft where it won't fit in the overhead and has to be gate checked. I got my TSA approved locks from Target & Amazon. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~