Respected Contributor

Re: Lincoln Center NYC: Proper Dress?

As most people have said,  dress comfortably. You can absolutely wear a nice pair of jeans, with a decent top.  Almost anything goes.  ENJOY YOURSELF.

There are so many great areas and neighborhoods in NY,  from the UWS down to the Trade Center and everywhere out of the range.

Take time to look at some of the architecture and older buildings.  They are magnificent.  While you are on the UWS...   if you have time,  check out Zabar's.  It's an UNBELIEVEABLE food and kitch gadget store on Broadway and 82nd street.  You have to see it to believe it.

Where are you staying?

Respected Contributor

From a recommendation here, we are staying for the second time at a Hampton Inn 851 8th between 51st-52nd. 

We have stayed at the Shoreham(55th between 5th-6th)and Marriott Marquis.

I really enjoy the Travel Reports here!

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I saw My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center last month. It was fabulous. I had seen MFL five times on Broadway, when I was a kid. I’ve also read and seen Pygmalion, the Shaw play upon which it is based. You’re in for a memorable experience. 

I wore a pair of dress slacks and a dressy blouse. I was more than adequately dressed. By the way, if you want to splurge, dine at the restaurant that’s right at the Center. It’s Mediterranean-Italian. The service and food are excellent bu the prices are high. Still, it was a special experience.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My husband and I saw My Fair Lady at Lincoln Center last month. It was fabulous. I had seen MFL five times on Broadway, when I was a kid. I’ve also read and seen Pygmalion, the Shaw play upon which it is based. You’re in for a memorable experience. 

I wore a pair of dress slacks and a dressy blouse. I was more than adequately dressed. By the way, if you want to splurge, dine at the restaurant that’s right at the Center. It’s Mediterranean-Italian. The service and food are excellent bu the prices are high. Still, it was a special experience.

Thanks so much!  

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

The Kennedy Center in Washington, DC is the same way now.

I have been to the Opera on Saturday night and you see furs and gown and yoga pants and hoodies all on line for the ladies room at the intermission.

I like to dress up, so if I have a fancy dress, I will wear it.

This is a very sad truth....I go to NYC for the theater a few times a year and it is getting worse. Tickets are getting more expensive and people are looking worse and worse.....

The special atmosphere is no longer there. That is why I love to go to the theater or any concert in Europe ( when on vacation) , people look so nicely dressed!