Respected Contributor

Okay, I can't stand it anymore.....I NEED to talk about Travel, even if I can't do it.

So, instead of getting all PC on us and covid shaming.  Tell us about your last vacation.  When was it, where did you go, and what did you like best about it.

I'll go first.  My last vacation was in December 2019.  I went with a group of friends to Bimini.  What I liked best was relaxing in the warm weather with my friends.  Haven't been able to see some of them since, so it is a nice memory.  Can't wait to make more in the future.

So, let's share....maybe some of us can dream and plan on our next vacation.

Honored Contributor

We went to Cape Cod this past July for a week. Rented a house with my sister and her husband. House and yard were on the water and very private. There were no mandates about traveling from NY to MA so no problems there. We weren't mingling around people but drove around to sightsee. 

Respected Contributor

@Travone 

My last trip was in August 2019 to where I grew up in the Bay Area and also Lake Tahoe and Sacramento.  When we left CA over 20 years for beautiful Colorado the only places I missed were Tahoe and the Napa Valley.

This was the beginning of what was to be annual trips there but it'll wait.  There is so much to see in Colorado I'm good staying local for a while. 

tri2.jpg

tri1.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

We took a bucket list trip to South Africa in January 2020.  Shortly after we got back, the virus hit and we lost our business, but that is another story and I am glad I did not know what was to come at the time.  I actually got sick the day we got back, after being on packed and long flights, and wonder if I had the virus at that time.  I am so glad we went on this vacation and have wonderful memories and photos.

We got really lucky in several ways.  First was that we got a complementary upgrade to the nicest and most expensive resort at Kapama, in that it literally would cost thousands per night.  The food was incredible.  We had our own luxurious individual cabin with our own pool and deck.  We could hear the animals outside our cabin all night.

Secondly, we went during their summer and usually it would be hot and humid.  But it was unusually "cool" for that time of year.  The weather was perfect.  It was maybe in the 70's, low humidity, and only sprinkled once.  I wanted to go during their summer so that there was greenery, and though it made the animals a bit harder to see, the photos of them against the vegetation are gorgeous.

The third way we were lucky is that our Safari guide (two safari's per day) was the absolute best.  On our last safari, we were able to see the "Big 5" all in one safari trip - Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Rhino, and Elephant, though we had certainly seen them all before in our previous 9 safaris.

If the virus had not hit, we would have gone to Norway this past month.  We had already been planning it.

There are many lessons to be learned from Covid 19, and one of them is to not put off travel when it is safe to to do so!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

My last vacation was in the summer of 2018. My husband and I returned to Québec City.  It was our fourth trip there, we loved it THAT MUCH. We had gone to France and many other European locales before that. The France trips were especially great. My French became fluent, I made wonderful French friends, saw magnificent sites, and ate the best cuisine in the world. I'll never forget those fantastic trips. 

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips   Sounds like you had a wonderful trip...but I wanted to say.... I am sorry you lost your business, because of Covid.

Our business is still open, we were down in 2020 but that was to be expected.  

Respected Contributor

I haven't been on a vacation in 20+ years but in April come h/ell or high water I'm headed to the MI UP for a week long stay at a friends cabin on acreage & once I get there I don't want to hear, talk to or see another person....I'm so excited, I just can't wait.

Esteemed Contributor

@Travone   There were actually 2 trips 2 months apart. The first was in August 2019. My newly engaged son & his fiancée treated DH & myself & her parents to a trip to Las Vegas. It was fabulous. The Kids made all the arrangements & picked up the tab. Our new extended family became very close.We became one family. We laughed a lot, ate great food,drank quite a bit of alcohol & saw some fabulous shows!!

The second trip DH & I took in October 2019 to Disney in Orlando, alone. It was the first trip to Disney that we had taken without our son since he was born. We booked a mini suite in the Disney Boardwalk,on property. We had a fabulous 5 days.

We acted like 2 kids seeing it for the first time.It brought back memories of the times we spent there before my son was born. We had no one to look after but eachother. Although,now we had the money to stay in luxury accommodations & eat in nicer restaurants.

Before Covid we had planned to take a Mediterranean cruise in 2020. We had also planned to take a 2 week trip to England with my son, DIL & her parents in the Summer of 2021. It doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I can't wait for life to get back to normal. Like my mom used to say, there is no forever. At our ages we may not have a lot of time left.I would like to spend it making more memories rather than locked in the house hiding from Covid.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Puppy Lips   Sounds like you had a wonderful trip...but I wanted to say.... I am sorry you lost your business, because of Covid.

Our business is still open, we were down in 2020 but that was to be expected.  

@Mom2Dogs Thank you.  I have worked since I was 16 years old and have been on unemployment for almost a year.  Never in a million years would I have imagined that would happen.  The thought of finding another job at my age is just, well, depressing.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Travone My DH was just saying a few days ago that he wants to go back to England.  We have airfares that we paid for, for our business, that we then had to cancel because the events cancelled.  Maybe we can somehow use those credits to get there.