Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips  I understand - I work 3 days a week and DH is home around 1 - 2:00 most days, just not enough work to keep working all day.

I hope you find something that is of interest to you...otherwise if you are able and the 'right age' , enjoy retirement.

Respected Contributor

November/December of 2020.

I went to my place at the beach in Florida. Got to have my first ever hurricane experience! It's one that I'll not likely sign up for again. By the time it actually got to us on the Gulf coast, it was "just" a strong tropical storm. We never lost power (or cable & internet). My building was being painted, and the painters kept right on painting thru it all. 

Once the hurricane/tropical storm passed, it was beautiful. I played golf, roamed the beach, dined out with friends, hiked, biked and kayaked in the nature preserve, and enjoyed just sitting on my balcony watching the waves. 

The Florida that I experienced was NOT the Florida that so many here complain about. People wore masks and more than socially distanced. Restaurants voluntarily reduced capacity. Stores enforced the wearing of masks. No one argued or put up a fuss. The island that I'm on was nearly empty because many of our fall visitors from Europe weren't able to travel.

I flew, and felt perfectly comfortable. Mask wearing was enforced. Delta was (and still is) blocking center seats in coach. I was upfront in first and had the row to myself. The planes themselves were less than 30% full. 

I'm going back shortly - as soon as I have everything I need for my taxes and can pass it off to my accountant. I can't wait. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all who posted.  All the trips sound wonderful.  I am already happier just hearing about them.  @rockygems123  thanks for the pictures.  I want to go to all the places mentioned. 

Esteemed Contributor

December, 2019 Christmas - We went to NY to see our granddaughters for Christmas. The oldest was 7 and the twins were 4. 

The oldest is now going to be 9 and the twins are going to be 6. Gosh how we miss them.

Whenever we thought we could go and see them, NY was shut down and then we were shut down (SC). 

Hopefully, that will change sometime in 2021. Although we will be vaccinated, don't know when my daughter will qualify and I'm guessing the kids won't be for awhile yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Great thread. All of these trips sound great. My last big trip was to Savannah and drove up to Charleston. We stayed at different hotels. 
We had a blast. 

Esteemed Contributor

My last trip was in February 2020 to Mexico. We hadn’t begun to worry about Covid yet, although the US had just prohibited flights from China. I remember thinking the international terminal seemed pretty empty, but was uncertain if Covid related or just because the time of day. Next to us was a flight to Hong Kong - they were the only ones wearing masks! AND I flew first class!! I never fly first class, but the points weren’t too many, so I splurged.

And where in Mexico? I went specifically to follow the migrating monarchs to their winter home in the mountains a few hours outside Mexico City. We had absolutely perfect weather - beautiful clear blue skies. One could definitely feel the excitement on our first day, taking this little open air truck up the mountain to the reserve’s entrance, with random butterflies flittering around us as they were returning to their trees for the night. There was just something so peaceful sitting with them, surrounded by literally millions of these flying creatures. A wonderful, unforgettable experience that I recommend to anyone who doesn’t mind staying in smaller, no frills hotels. (I went with NatHab and there is a trip report somewhere on this forum with my experience.)

Respected Contributor

For me, traveling is a part of who I am.  I have loved to travel since I was a little girl, when I had to go visit Chincoteague and Assateague after reading "Misty," and nagged my parents to take me there to see the wild horses.

I believe that travel helps me to learn more about myself by learning more about the world.

In my life I spent some time in both high school and college in foreign countries.

When I was in college I worked part-time as a travel agent and learned the business from the inside.

I have always told DH that we never put off till tomorrow what we can see today--we both have long bucket lists of places to visit.

My last trip was actually in 2020--we spent a few nights in Ocean City, MD, on the beach in the late summer and it was a very safe and socially distant trip (wore masks, kept the balcony door open for ventilation, etc.).

My major trip in 2019 was to Italy (Venice) with a Greek cruise.  We were able to visit many famous archaeological sites and museums, such as the San Marco Basilica and the Doge's Palace in Venice, Juliet's house in Verona (from Romeo and Juliet), the Athens Acropolis, the Delos Terrace of Lions, the  Rhodes Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights and Olympia (where the Olympics started in the 8th century BC). 

No need to mention all the trips I would have taken the past two years--they are still on my goals list!

I usually visit travel websites much more than QVC, but during this time period of being home, I am trying not to be tempted too much.  I am so happy to have many wonderful memories!

Respected Contributor

We took an AMAZING Tauck trip to London, Paris and then a riverboat trip on the Seine for 12 days.  So wonderful.   It was fun, exciting, relaxing and even better than anticipated.  LOVED every moment.  

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I love to travel ( have been to 80 countries, most in last ten years ) but my very last trips were almost local!  In August 2019 I took my two grands to Disneyland and Universal and in March 2020 we spent a week in Vegas ( one of our favorite quick getaways) eating wonderful food and relaxing. How could we know that 5 days later we'd be on a mission "to rescue" grands before CA closed down ( they were with us for five months and we haven't been able to get together since).  We both just got our first Covid vaccine so hopefully we'll have them for entire Summer!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Puppy Lips  I understand - I work 3 days a week and DH is home around 1 - 2:00 most days, just not enough work to keep working all day.

I hope you find something that is of interest to you...otherwise if you are able and the 'right age' , enjoy retirement.

@Mom2Dogs I wish we could retire.  My sister and brother both did in the last few years and are having a blast.  I feel like that is so far off for us. We still have one in college.  Part of the problem is that we bought our office space at the height of the real estate market.  Not only that, other units in this strip center never sold at all.  I don't think we could sell it and make money, or even rent it to cover the expenses. We are trying to start another business using the space we have.  This really sucks because we were on track to finish out in the next few years, get all the business debts paid (other than the space), and close it down feeling accomplished and somewhat successful.  Now I have no idea what is going to happen.  There is a chance it will come back in the fall, but I doubt it will generate the income it did before.  I know we are not alone and have much to be thankful for.  But still, ugh!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead