Super Contributor

Re: Last Minute Beach Getaways

@World Traveler wrote:

Kathleen Squires of Fodor’s suggests the following places to go for a last-minute beach vacation:

• West Beach, Alabama
  • Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Panama City Beach, Florida
  • Horseneck Beach, Massachusetts
  • Cancun/Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • Cannon Beach, Oregon

I have not been to any of these, but if you have, I would like to know what your experience was like. Heart

I have been to Cannon Beach and it is really beautiful, but there's not a whole lot to do there.  My husband and I took a trip a few years back where we started in Seattle and drove down the coast to San Francisco.  It was one of my favorite trips.  I loved the entire Oregon coast (especially Astoria) and the northern California coast.  Really lovely.

I have also been to Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres, which are both close to Cancun.  For some reason, Cancun does not appeal to me (too much of a party destination, maybe?) but I loved Playa del Carmen and I really loved Isla Mujeres.  Isla is a very small island, and everyone gets around on golf carts.  I feel like it is what Mexico used to be before tourism took over.  Of course, hubby and I were there about six years ago, and there were already signs that tourism was taking hold  We would both love to go back, but I'm afraid that it is probably so built up that we wouldn't recognize it.  

Honored Contributor

Cannon Beach and the entire Oregon coastline is beautiful.  These are beaches where you will most likely be wearing a hoodie though instead of a bathing suit🙂

Esteemed Contributor

I'm another one (and I'm usually a fearless traveller) who has sworn off Mexico.  Last time I went (5 yrs ago) we stopped at four ports, including Cano San Lucas and Acapulco.  After seeing AK 47 armed guards with sand bag imbankments in front of banks and many armed military wandering around tourists areas, no way!  Forgot to mention that as we pulled out of Acapulco, CNN coverage was of a bus of local (Mexican) tourists was kidnapped by a drug cartel near Acapulc --- a year later their remains were discovered in a mass grave.

Respected Contributor

Cancun,Mexico is a safe choice, no gangs there. Acapulco is a different story, I wouldn't go there.

We like going to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Works for me, perfect beach.

If you want to spend more, there is  always Aruba.

Esteemed Contributor

I have visited 75 countries and numerous islands. Six  years ago DH and I spent two weeks on Aruba; far and away our least favorite vacation spot.  A desert island, no culture and little good food (or even decent souvenirs).  An expensive flight to visit a tourist enclave full of American  chain restaurants.  The beachfront was pretty.

Honored Contributor

@patbz Okay, now, you just have to tell us more about your adventures sometime. You have visited 75 countries and numerous islands.......there has to be some really great stories to tell, right? ha!

Seriously, would love to see a thread started by you about some of your trips. Pleasure, business, family, etc. Favorite country. Unforgettable experience. Biggest lesson learned while traveling. And the list goes on about things you could share.

You would be a treasure-trove of information for all of us! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I have visited 75 countries and numerous islands. Six  years ago DH and I spent two weeks on Aruba; far and away our least favorite vacation spot.  A desert island, no culture and little good food (or even decent souvenirs).  An expensive flight to visit a tourist enclave full of American  chain restaurants.  The beachfront was pretty.

@patbz

We felt the same way about Aruba.  So many people rave about it but our 2 visits there were far from ideal.  The water and sand looked beautiful but that's the most positive thing I can say about the island.

My husband worked for an international hotel chain and managed a resort in Barbados for a number of years. The complex was beautiful.  That's not to say there were less than pleasing areas on the island.

Contributor

I live in Panama City and I can definitely vouch for our beaches.  The beach here is beautiful with white sand and clear blue green water.  We have a lot of wonderful seafood restaurants, lots of things for kids to do, mini golf, arcades, shopping, etc.  It's a great place to visit.  

Trusted Contributor

I've spent two weeks in Cancun every summer for the past 7 years.  As far a safety goes, it really depends on where you stay.  The Hotel Zone is a strip of land that is separate from downtown and is basically a long area of land that has one all inclusive resort after another.  It is completely isolated from the city and is totally safe.  It's basically like a gated community for tourists.  For the past two years, I didn't even leave the resort the whole time I was there.  I had done all the tourist sights years ago, so now I just go to decompress and enjoy the food and beautiful beach.  If there is gang violence in Cancun, it is definitely nowhere near where people vacation.  

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Kathleen Squires of Fodor’s suggests the following places to go for a last-minute beach vacation:

• West Beach, Alabama
  • Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Panama City Beach, Florida
  • Horseneck Beach, Massachusetts
  • Cancun/Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • Cannon Beach, Oregon

I have not been to any of these, but if you have, I would like to know what your experience was like. Heart

@World Traveler The author is obviously from the East Coast. No California beaches on this list! We have so many great little spots and secluded beaches tourists don't know about.