Respected Contributor

@Shanus  We had a stopover in Chicago last November and it seemed like our flight came in one end of the airport and we had to walk to the other end to catch our next flight.  Chicago is a big airport!  Hopefully your gates are closer together than ours were.  Have fun visiting your daughter. 

Respected Contributor

Are you visiting long enough to check a suitcase on your flight? If so, make sure you know the maximum allowable checked luggage weight. The airlines impose some pretty stiff penalties if you exceed the maximum weight. On one of our trips, the max was 50 pounds, with a penalty of $100 for luggage weighing 51 to 75 pounds.Consider mailing some of your heavier items like sneakers to your daughter’s house ahead of (and home at the end of) your trip. Also, know how much your luggage weighs empty, so you know how much clothing you can bring. You can buy portable digital luggage scales (we got ours on Amazon) that attach to your suitcase handle. As you lift the suitcase, it displays its weight. We found out that one of our suitcases weighs 11 pounds empty. You can take the scale with you to use for your return flight (it’s about the size of a big corkscrew). In addition to your meds, pack a change of underwear and a clean top in your carry-on bag in case your checked bags go astray. If there are 2 of you, and you’re each checking a suitcase, split your clothing between the 2 bags, so you both have some clothing in each bag in case one’s lost. Also, medical devices like CPAP machines don’t count against your carryon allowance, but you can’t stow anything else in them. I hope you have a great flight and enjoy your visit with your daughter! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, we recently flew to Seattle and back.  If you need a specific beverage on the flight, get it near your gate after clearing security.

There are numerous sites that will give you ideas of what types of food you can prepare to bring on your flight.  Sometimes I pick up a sandwich for a long flight.  I think as long as there are no liquids in the food that could cause concern for security, you will be fine.  I often bring baked goods home, and I know that Seattle at Pike Market always packs foods for flight (in case you want to bring anything home).

Like others have said, read your airline guidelines.  Also, depending on your seat, you could be very close to your seatmates, so plan accordingly.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Re: LONG FLIGHT TO SEATTLE

[ Edited ]

Go to the website for you airline and get further information about luggage restrictions for both carry-on or checked baggage.  Airlines can have different restrictions on the size of a carry-on bag or the size of your personal item that goes under your seat. 

Some airlines are very strict about sticking to the size of carry-on stuff and others not so much.   With some airlines it also depends on how you are flying.  DH and I are flying United next month to Florida and we are going basic economy. We aren't allowed to bring a carry-on, only a personal item.     

Super Contributor

I always ALWAYS pack a gallon sized plastic bag full of snacks. Trail mix, crackers, cookies etc. You are FINE with FOOD that is not liquid. I always buy a bottle of water on the other side of security to take on with me. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   If its any consolation, the scenery going into Seattle is beautiful from the air.  If you take a computer or tablet, be sure to switch it to "airplane" mode when you board.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I fly either United or Delta.  You can pack food from home to bring along.  I pack plenty of snacks.  I bring some combination of: sandwich, chips, crackers, cheese, bagel, cream cheese, nuts, candy bar, pretzels.  I buy a bottle of water after going through security.  You can get any non alcoholic drink or food after going through security to bring on board.  The plane will serve a variety of drinks and a small snack.  I bring my pocketbook and a small tote bag for my snacks, magazines, water, pills, kindle.  I bring pills in their pill box.  I do nothing special with them.  I've never seen anyone stopped at security for their pills.  They are typically stopped for having some kind of liquid in their carryon.  If you have a checked bag, put anything that is liquid in there.  No scissors in carryon/pocketbook either, has to go in a checked bag.

Wear shoes that are easy to get off/on to go through security.  I put my jewelry/watch in my pocketbook going through security.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Shanus   If its any consolation, the scenery going into Seattle is beautiful from the air.  If you take a computer or tablet, be sure to switch it to "airplane" mode when you board.

@Kachina624 Oh cwap! No internet? 8 hrs. w/o shopping? Wow! That Chicago airport better have some darn good stores on the way to my 2nd flight.

Honored Contributor

we got lucky traveling a few weeks ago. we got a random TSA pre-check designation on our boarding passes. we went through a special line and we did not have to remove shoes or remove our computers. it was GREAT. i think i am going to apply to get that 5 year TSA pre check.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Shanus

did you know that alaska airlines has non stop from raleigh to seattle? 6 hour flight. maybe you want to check that out next time?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein