Honored Contributor

KAYAK, PRICELINE, ETC - ALL THE SAME?

We need to move out locally for 7 days while some construction is being done inside the house.  So no airline or car rentals needed, and no package options.

I have now looked at Booking, Priceline and Kayak, and my eyes are starting to glaze over.  

They all seem the same.

Any recommendations you can make based on your own travel experiences?  Obviously, I don't need a travel agent for this one.

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: KAYAK, PRICELINE, ETC - ALL THE SAME?

[ Edited ]

I would pick out the hotel I like the best. Then call them, explain your local situation and ask for their best rate for a week.

I've often got the best deal by calling direct. Great not to have to use a service.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I would pick out the hotel I like the best. Then call them, explain your local situation and ask for their best rate for a week.

I've often got the best deal by calling direct. Great not to have to use a service.

Good luck!

@PickyPicky3 

That was my thought, too.  

Then we stopped by an Extended Stay America location in a lovely neighborhood and wanted to see what they could offer and see a couple rooms.  (I want a kitchenette with refrigerator).  

The manager on duty showed us a nice room and when talking about price we were told they could only do so much with price breaks.  She flat out told us we'd get a better price by going through a third party to make our reservations ... Priceline, Expedia, etc.

That was a surprise.

Esteemed Contributor

Could also check the long stay, suite hotels, with kitchens.  Better yet, they have maid service for your added enjoyment.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

@PickyPicky3  has the best advice.    I worked for Hilton Worldwide, and if you contract your stay directly with the hotel...you can be sure of getting any discounts, or REFUNDS available to you.   Just call the 800 number of the brand you want.     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44   Interesting. Extended Stay America is a chain where I've had the most success by calling direct.

**** A week is a long time. Best that you pick out what you want (close to my house would be very important to me). With some of the discount websites, you get a rate in a certain price range, but not a specific property.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 We just did the same thing. Here in the mountains we rented a freestanding cabin. Having a kitchen is very important as well as a comfortable place to sit. Unfortunately, our week stretched to 10 days. Be flexible. It is worth the wait once the project is complete. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44   Interesting. Extended Stay America is a chain where I've had the most success by calling direct.

**** A week is a long time. Best that you pick out what you want (close to my house would be very important to me). With some of the discount websites, you get a rate in a certain price range, but not a specific property.

@PickyPicky3 

When you called Extended Stay, did you call the main number ...  or the location?

Since the location I want to stay at is near Universal Studios, movie studio tours etc, they get a lot of traffic even on off season.

It's always something.  lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44     Both! 

****But if they're booked up, it doesn't work.Smiley Sad