Contributor

Just returned from Fall Foilage trip

My husband and I and two good friends just returned from a Fall Foliage trip and it was great. It was a tour that started in Boston and went to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and returned to Boston. It was all great but I loved Vermont and Maine. We are from California and fall is not celebrated like it is in the northeast. That part of the country is so beautiful. I loved how all the porches are decorated for fall, much different than on west coast. Love my home, but it is so fun to see other parts of our great country.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just returned from Fall Foilage trip

[ Edited ]

You are so lucky. I really miss the fall back north. DH and I should book one of those tours in New England next fall. Another item on my bucket list.

Respected Contributor

The northeast is a wonderful place to be in the fall.  A business trip allowed me to be in Washington, DC for a week with a couple of days off.  I took a tour up the east coast and it was breathtaking.  Stayed in a B & B.  Was ready to come back to work invigorated and rested.

This Texas gal misses the beautiful foliage in that part of the country.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

@Janealma wrote:

My husband and I and two good friends just returned from a Fall Foliage trip and it was great. It was a tour that started in Boston and went to Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and returned to Boston. It was all great but I loved Vermont and Maine. We are from California and fall is not celebrated like it is in the northeast. That part of the country is so beautiful. I loved how all the porches are decorated for fall, much different than on west coast. Love my home, but it is so fun to see other parts of our great country.

I'm so glad that you had a good time in my neck of the woods!  I live on the coast in Massachusetts, a couple of miles from the New Hampshire border.  Every fall, we like to take a day and pick a spot in New England to go leaf peeping.  The consensus for this year is that the colors have not been great.  We've had a really warm fall.  In fact, we really have had no fall at all, just a continuation of summer.  In order to have great color, you need cool nights and cool, sunny days.  However, I have noticed that the trees in my yard are really getting colorful, so perhaps we can salvage a bit of the season.

I agree that Maine and Vermont are highlights.  Vermont in the fall is quintiessential New England and Maine is just beautiful with the rocky shoreline and quaint coastal villages.  I hate snow and always dread the New England winter, but, honeslty, I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Respected Contributor

@Janealma  Good you enjoyed your fall trip.  Having lived in different spots in New England for most of my adult life, the fall was very very special.  It is the one thing I miss living in Florida.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like  a wonderful trip!  It's extra special to share it with friends. I love Vermont & New Hampshire...they have such beautiful countryside scenery.

I'm a little further down in southeastern PA in Bucks County.  I just took a drive today to a local farm to pick up some eggs and a few other things.  It's so beautiful around here particularly during fall foliage...the winding country roads can be spectacular right now!

We have a dozen covered bridges in my county and DH and I started a driving tour last October but never finished it.  I'm going to suggest we finish the tour maybe next week.

Almost everyone around here decorates the front of their homes for fall and many for Halloween too.  It's a wonderful time of year...I just hate winter!

Esteemed Contributor

@ZoetheCat, I am in Nova Scotia.  Very warm Autumn.  The leaves here are outstanding this year.  Like you, I thought we needed cooler temps.  Not the case this year.  Simply breathtaking!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

It’s always a pleasure to drive to work this time of year. Haha!!

The colors this time of year are amazing along the expressway. It seems like they turn overnight! One of these days I’ll need to get to the northeast - it sounds beautiful with the houses all decorated. Just like one of the Hallmark Channel movies!!
Honored Contributor

@Janealma, So wonderful for you.  Many years ago, that was my  dream trip, we never got to take it. But now we're back home (many years) and we can live in our states colorworks.  But I'm so glad you got to do that with friends.

Contributor

Yes, Alter Ego the towns looked like a Hallmark movie!! The colors were spectacular, especially Maine. Our guide told us that the leaves were late turning this year due to warm weather, lucky break for us. There was a couple on our tour from England and this was their third try to see the color and they finally got it!