Trusted Contributor

Just Returned from CUBA Cruise

Hello Travel Buddies - I just returned from a very SHORT cruise to Cuba.  Here are the details and I will provide a detailed review.

Royal Caribbean

Departing from: Tampa, Florida

Ports of Call:
  • Key West, Florida
  • Havana, Cuba
Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure
day 1Tampa, Florida---Not Applicable4:00 PM
day 2Key West, Florida1:00 PM7:00 PM
day 3Havana, Cuba8:00 AM8:00 PM
day 4At Sea---Not Applicable---Not Applicable
day 5Tampa, Florida7:00 AM---
Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just Returned from CUBA Cruise

I wish to go.so I hope that I am able to catch your thoughts when posted. A cruise would allow me to keep my creature comforts and would be the way for me.

My niece traveled there two years ago and actually stayed for a few days. She loved the culture and the people, but some improvements were needed. One being traveling around on a hot day in a vehicle with no air conditioning. It's like they are frozen in time. She loved it. 

Trusted Contributor

Length of Cruise

This was intentially booked as a very short cruise to give hubby a break from work.  We last took a cruise in Jan and had taken a week off here and there.  The cruise lines do have longer cruises to Cuba that include additional cities as well as making a stop in Mexico.

Cruise Line:

Royal Caribbean

The Ship was one of the smaller ships as the Cuba port can not handle the larger ships "yet".  We also booked a super small inner cabin.  It was the SMALLEST we have ever been in but after day one, you "make due" and really get used to the size.

Pre Cruise Requirements for Cuba:

Two documents were required to be completed before the cruise.

1)

A Travel Certification document. This is a U.S. government document that you will use to certify the reason for your travel to Cuba, under one of the authorized categories of travel. Royal required two completed and signed copies per traveler and it was taken at the port.

2)

Gests are required to PURCHASE a visa to travel to Cuba, however Royal Caribbean will facilitate this for our guests at a cost of $75 per person.

This information was to "ME" not shared well in advance, I happen to have read it before the cruise but many on the ship did not and were MAD.  Before I tell you the drama on the ship, please read the offiical requirements from Royal Carb.

This fee will be added to your onboard account on Day 1 of the cruise. Each guest will receive their Visa during embarkation and will be responsible for providing their Visa to the Cuban authorities upon arrival in Cuba. If a guest loses their Visa, they will be able to purchase a new Visa onboard at an additional cost of $75.

All cruises to Cuba require a passport book (NO passport cards or other forms of I.D. will be accepted) valid for at least 6 months after the sailing date, for all guests including minors. Some guests will be required to have an A-1 Visa to visit Cuba. 

SO....

It was me and hubby, the visa charge of 150.00 was automatically added to your onboard account.

NOW a family of 2 parents and 4 kids === 1 kiddie under age 2, 1 -  new born....YES...they had purchase 4 visas at 75.00 each.

Some people did not budget for that, i'm sure this did not apply to Cuban citizens.

More to follow.

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

Traveling Experience

Arrival day ahead

We fly from Baltimore and we left the day ahead so we were not rushed.We stayed at a Hampton Inn which was about 15 minutes from the cruise port.

Tampa Cruise Port

The tampa cruise port is a smaller port, but they have a lot of staff to help you along the way.  The process moved somewhat fast to register. 

Advance Purchases:

WE paid for our shore excursions in advance and we did book a roy carb. tour.  The tours are expense, along the lines of short excursions in alaska.  You do not need to do shore excursions through royal carb. BUT I knew my NEEDS.

The tours through royal carib. were in NEW BUSES which were air conditioned and had a bathroom on board.  Also the bus was not packed so hubby had his own two seat area (Big/TALL) and I had my own.

The weather was HOT, and humid.  I have learned with age, when traveling, you have ot KNOW your limitations.  We needed the comforts of air conditioning and bathroom.

RESEARCH

In Cuba, you have to pay to use restrooms and toilet paper is not provided. This is the TRUTH, and was discussed on the Roy Cab. Cuba Information Program on the ship.

HEAT/SUN

My hubby is a big man, let's not PRETEND, he get's HOT and SWEATS, so I did not want him to be uncomfortable. 

THE TOURS

WE did a 8 hour tour of Cuba which included lunch, museums, transportation to rum/cigar factory, and transportation and waiting to shopping, then back to the ship.

We enjoyed it, it fit our needs, there was a good amount of walking but you where then back on the cool BUS!!!

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

coming back with more details....

in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB- I wonder if you were on the same cruise as my neighbor - I haven't seen her yet but before she left she gave me some of the same details - small world.

Trusted Contributor

Cruise Line Assistance

What I did like was that Roy Carb. had a seminar that explained what to expect, how to exit the ship, actual videos showing you what to do, as a person did the  process.

First we exit and go to the via processing section, they look at your passport, and take your 75.00 via and take your picture.

Then you walk to the money exchange, now here is the I say "RIP OFF", 100.00 US dollars is woth 87.00 cuban.

SO we exchanged 200.00 dollars with small bills and change.

This was MORE Than enough money, hubby had to buy gifts for people in his office so, we bought 5.00 tote bags, aprons, key chains (10), fridge magnets, and a lot of "STUFF" for us that were hand made items.  And we STILL had money about 16.00 left over which we gave as a tip to the tour guide.

IF you don't need to BUY things for others, have no kids 87.00 is more than enough.

in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

You had great long times in port! I was on Empress’ third trip to Cuba - really a memorable experience. Can’t wait to hear the rest of your report!
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB So glad you are posting about your cruise. I have never been to Cuba, so I am enjoying what you have to say about it.

Toilet paper.......I have just gotten in the habit of packing a roll in my suitcase. I remove the cardboard inside the paper, squash down the roll, and off I go! I usually remove enough from the roll for an entire day of doing touristy things and stick it in a quart zip-lock bag. I also fold a bunch of toilet seat covers (you can buy a public-restroom-sized packet at Costco), and stick those in the baggie too.

Trusted Contributor

Pictures

When you first board the ship, they have about 4-5 cuba back ground pictures, we took all of them and I am so glad, as WE did not take any pictures on the ship. After th 8 hour tour hubby did not feel like changing, so we stayed casual.

The pictues are 20.00 for an 8x10, but the key is the background of the picture, which adds to your memory.

OLD CARS IN CUBA

Yes, there are old cars that are fixed up everywhere, and you pay for the driver.  Many people, reserved them or got one right at the pier.  We did not because we once again, new our "heat" limitations,  The sun was beaming down, so our plan was if we did do a old car experience, we were going to do  a ride at the end of the day for a short say 15 minute ride.

Harrasement for money

I honestly did not have any of this UNTIL we got to the last shopping district which was a large warehouse of vendors.  Two kids were at the bus when we got off and started to FOLLOW us around BEGGING.  Honestly it was TIRING, but I did not give him any money.

People of Cuba

Honestly, we only met the people on the tours so they were nice but what would you "expect".  But we did get a lot of information about their lives, how the government controls everything from the old cars, tours, restaurants, etc.

We learned that many don't have warm running water in their homes or air conditioning.  We learned that the tour guide makes around 40.00 a month not including tips and the gov. pays for their food, housing, medical, education, etc.

The place looks OLD, it is not need to pretend, and there are not many hotels that are 5 stars but they are BUILDING UP, especially around the port.  Right now they can hold 7 ships and I expect if we go back in say 10 years, it will be like other ports were the cruise ships have the entire area buildt up around the port with stores, etc.

POVERTY

Cuba is an example of --- you don't miss what you don't know.  The guide told us that after the 2016 american diplomat/hearing loss event the american embassy was closed.  SO NOW they need to go to venezula to try and get visa to leave cuba.  Which now makes it almost impossible for the average cuban.

I think many people are poor, it looked that way to me.  I felt thankful to be an american, I felt that I was blessed by GOD, and did nothing to deserve it.  That is why I LOVE Traveling, it shows you what is happening outside your little world.

People on the ship

I'd say 70 % of the ship were cubans going home to visit. 

Going again to Cuba

I would go again but not for about 10 years, I want to see how the cruise ships build up the place.  It is more of an humanitarian type of cruise, not a beach, parasailing, fun in the sun cruise. 

Cuban SHOWS on ship:

I was disappointed that the cruise ship did not have a cruise themed program, maybe because our cruise was so SHORT.  I suspect the cruise where you stay in cuba overnight or stop at other cuban ports you get better entertainment.

in your life!!!