Trusted Contributor

I have a quick question for those of you who book yourselves.  How far in advance do you book your museums, restaurant reservations, etc?  

I'm not sure right now which days we'll want the most 

"line inducing" museums (Vatican, Uffici, etc), but want to make sure we get the 'skip the line' tickets.  How long in advance is that necessary?  Thanks for you help.

Trusted Contributor

I went to Italy last summer with a Gate 1 group of 20 people, and it was great. I was thankful when we were able to jump the lines at the Academie, Vatican, Pompeii, etc. The lines were ridiculously long, and it was hot in the sun. 

Since you're going to Florence, I recommend visiting Vivoli, the first gelateria. Smiley Happy

One of my favorite cites was Siena. Much less crowded than Florence, so you really got to appreciate the medieval city. You'll also be close to Lucca, which wasn't crowded. 

I'd love to go back and spend most of my time on the Amalfi Coast. Positano and the other little towns are magical. How incredible that these towns were built into the side of cliffs! 

Some of Tuscany reminded me exactly of NorCal. There was one area we drove through that looked just like driving through Sunol, but with villas that were hundreds of years old. Woman Tongue No wonder so many Italian Americans settled here. 

My son (12 years old then) loved Murano. He really enjoyed the glass factory and how nice it was to walk on the water and over the bridges. It really brought the words of Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities to life. 

Enjoy your trip! I'm jealous! Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

Lucky you!  We went in October in 2015.  While in Tuscany, be sure to go to the little town of Cortona.  Charming and beautiful.  We began in Sicily which is absolutely gorgeous (and warm at that time) all the way up to the Dolomites into Lugano, Switzerland.  We saw so much  I think Sicily and Tuscany were my favorite areas.  Hope to go again some day.  Enjoy!

Valued Contributor

@SANNA @Sammijo10 You know,  I never used a tour group either, until I wanted to plan a trip to Italy the end of 2016, and there was a lot of unrest in Europe.  I thought it would be a good idea to be with a group who knew the ins and outs, yet I didn't want to travel with 50 people and wanted flexibility and some time on our own.  My travel agent recommended TAUCK Classic Italy Small Groups.    IT WAS THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME.  We were 22 people, and made such good friends on that trip (we went to Hawaii and Alaska with one of the couples we met, and when we go back to NY to visit my sister, we meet up with 3 couples from that trip and do dinner/theater).  The Tauck trip took us into the Sistine Chapel AFTER HOURS...   just our group of 22, and we were allowed to take pics.   It also took us to the floor of the Collesium, no lines,  private boat to Cinque Terre, etc.    We had time on our own, as well as planned time, and stayed at the most amazing hotels, both for location and history.  We also stayed in a Villa in Tuscany.

Enjoy your trip....  we went the end of Oct, and the weather was PERFECT.  Loved every second.

I was pleased with our Trafalgar tour to Italy 4 years ago until I read about your visit to the Sistine Chapel after hours.  That must have been amazing.  Trafalgar supposedly took us before hours without waiting in line outside but it was very crowded.  It was hard to enjoy the Vatican.

Valued Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

I have a quick question for those of you who book yourselves.  How far in advance do you book your museums, restaurant reservations, etc?  

I'm not sure right now which days we'll want the most 

"line inducing" museums (Vatican, Uffici, etc), but want to make sure we get the 'skip the line' tickets.  How long in advance is that necessary?  Thanks for you help.

My husband and I went to Paris last summer and had our hotel reserve a restaurant for us for our anniversary dinner.  Other meals we like to choose spur of the moment. Also had our hotel in Rouen reserve tickets to Monet's home in Giverny just a day or 2 before.  Same with the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam a couple of years earlier, we had Viking River Cruise staff book it just a few days before.   We don't often book sights or restaurants too far in advance but will probably book the Harry Potter Studios Tour outside London before we leave home this December.  I'll do that online as I do most of our travel.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Wobin.  The only thing I've booked ahead before was a tour of the king's and queen's apts in Versailles.  Did that about two weeks before our trip to France last year and it was well worth it.  After the short tour, you are dropped in the inside entrance and get to skip the entry line!  Even though we had the Paris Museum Pass, the line to enter was the length of the very large courtyard nearly to the outer gate.  And this was in April - not prime season. 

This trip to Italy will require several make ahead bookings, however, and I just want to be sure we don't get 'shut out' for our chosen days.  Coliseum, Vatican, Uffizi, Accademia etc.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Italy in Octobep

[ Edited ]

I am currently in Italy,in a summer resort called Bibione.It is about 1 hour by train from Venice. 

October is a great month to visit Europe. Right now we have 90 degrees. I go to the beach every afternoon,and the sea water is warm.No sharks around here.

My only advise is to carry your credit cards in inside hidden bags.We have a lot of illegal immigrants.Crime has incresead in the last 15 years.We used to sleep with windows open at night all summer.Now most people here have alarms or dogs.When you go to Venice wear comfortable shoes and expect huge crowds.Don' t go there on a weekend.I went to Venice by train and got there at 8.30 when it was less crowded.Venice has about 19 million tourists a year.Bibione has 6 millions tourists in the summer.By the way, around 1.500 two of my ancestors were "doge" of Venice.They were brothers. One had the other killed so he could take his place. Doge was the equivalent of the mayor of Venice.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, Pipin, descended from a Doge of Venice!  How wonderful!  Thank you for the tips for Venice.  As our schedule is currently arranged, we'll be arriving in Venice on late Saturday afternoon but staying until Wednesday, so I think we'll save any REALLY touristy things for the weekdays.  Except for perhaps a Sunday night Mass at San Marco, which I understand they light up all the mosaics inside and the effect is magical.  Not sure what to plan for Monday as many things are closed.  I think that may be Murano, Burano, Torcello day!  

Grazie e Ciao, Pipin!

Contributor

I have stayed there. It was beautiful. Not much surrounding it though,as it is mostly industrial. Their restaurant is good. Have the risotto. It takes two people to bring,it to your table. It's served in a giant parmigiana wheel, and they scrape around the inside melted cheese when scooping it out. I had it twice.