Trusted Contributor

It was suggested that I post my question about International Calling on this Forum

I decided after getting the info from everyone on this forum about Spring breaks in Florida to go somewhere else instead. My DH found a repositioning cruise on NCL at a great price going to the UK ports. I posted my original question in the Electronics Forum deducing it would be more relevant, however, the posters at that forum suggested that this might be the place to get additional info. OK, so here is a dilemma: we are traveling overseas and want to stay in touch with our family. We switched from At&T where we had an "international add on" on to Consumer Cellular. Their fees are 30 cents per call, 10 cents per text and 25 cents for data. If there is free wifi I could connect and use Google  or Skype. Any other suggestions

Honored Contributor

Re: It was suggested that I post my question about International Calling on this Forum

@Deanie

Maybe Facebook Instant Messenger (or the app “What’sApp”) would suit?

This article has some good information concerning this:

https://www.lifewire.com/facebook-messenger-mobile-app-2654387

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: It was suggested that I post my question about International Calling on this Forum

I use WhatsApp to communicate all the time with friends in England and Zimbabwe.  Great way to communicate and its free.  I also use it locally with friends who have it on their phones. Used it this past Fall when I was in England, Wales, and Scotland.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Want to edit to say that I originally misread the OP, so my response may not be relevant. I also use much more data than the OP may, needing to check work emails regularly as well as my personal emails and social media.

I’ve never been on NCL(yet) , but seem to recall seeing that their Wi-Fi data packages are fairly expensive. Not sure if they offer a way to buy a day or so as you go. By repositioning, do you mean a transatlantic? Because I don’t think there is much of a choice other than their Wi-Fi for all of those sea days. I also think that your phone plan may be a bit more expensive if used on the ship - did you ask specifically about ship usage? (Honestly, on cruises, I buy the Wi-Fi and keep my phone on airplane mode, but that’s just me.)

A good source for free Wi-Fi is to ask your waiter or other staff you meet onboard, since many use the time off ship to communicate with family. Of course, there’s always McDonalds and Starbucks. I’ve recently started using a VPN when traveling - particularly when connecting to unsecured Wi-Fi- but I’m not an expert on the subject. OH - I’ve also recently heard people commenting about waiting until you are far away from the ship prior to going off plane mode - people have complained because they were connected to the ship’s signal rather than outside data plan. Again, not something I’m an expert in.

Trusted Contributor

@Alter Ego  Repositioning is across the Atlantic. Usually, you can get really good rates because many people don't want to spend that long at sea. We will be in the UK so I am going to use the suggestions of Whats App. I did click on the links provided many thanks to the posters who recommended it. I also don't think I have much of a choice at sea for WiFi.

Trusted Contributor

OK. I installed Whatapp on my cell phone and not being familiar with it I have a few questions.

1-the app which is free also allows you to talk via text message or calls to others who also have the app on their phone?

2 the correspondance is free?

3-you all are awesome in your guidance

Thanks