Super Contributor

We are planning a trip to Ireland and Switzerland for 2020.  Can anyone tell me best time of year to go where it is not so crammed with tourists and also out of the way places with the charm of the area.  Thanks.  I got the travel bug in May when we went to Greece and Santorini for my Granddaughters wedding.  I loved it.  Want to go more places. 

Respected Contributor

We traveled to Ireland several years ago, but we went in November....the two weeks before Thanksgiving.  It was perfect.  No crowds.....we stayed at any B&B we chose, without reservations.  In fact, we only saw one other American couple there the entire time....it was there first night there, and our last.  We were able to meet many locals.  We were even invited to dinner at one house.  And another couple picked us up the next night to take us to another town to see a band they liked.  The weather was chilly, jeans and sweater weather but still nice.  Have a great time whenever you decide to go.

Honored Contributor

I've been to Ireland and Switzerland during the summer months, June and July. Very lovely time weather-wise.

Have a wonderful trip! They are both beautiful countries to visit.

Trusted Contributor

We went to Ireland last September as the tourist season was over.  Are you using a travel agent?  They should be able to give you advice.

Honored Contributor

You should work with a travel agent on this.  They can give you all the information you need and then some and book the trip for you.  

Esteemed Contributor

One wonderful thing having grown childrens is taking vacations when shcool is in.  Have fun!

Respected Contributor

We've been to Ireland twice. Both times in April. We were fortunate with the weather both trips. These were tours. We hope to make one more trip. It is beautiful and the people are welcoming.

Honored Contributor

Went to Ireland the first 2 weeks of September and it was wonderful.  Not so crowded and weather was pretty good.  You're always going to get rain in Ireland no matter when you go but it wasn't bad that time of year.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@JudyL Hey, there fellow traveler; how's it going? Haven't heard from you in a while. Don't forget to pop in every once in a while. Heart

Wasn't our trip to Ireland the best? Loved it!

Respected Contributor

Re: Ireland and Switzerland

[ Edited ]

@fingerlakesny wrote:

We are planning a trip to Ireland and Switzerland for 2020.  Can anyone tell me best time of year to go where it is not so crammed with tourists and also out of the way places with the charm of the area.  Thanks.  I got the travel bug in May when we went to Greece and Santorini for my Granddaughters wedding.  I loved it.  Want to go more places. 

@fingerlakesny

I've been to Ireland many times and during every season. (I just returned from Ireland and London yesterday)  Every season has it pluses.  Now was a great time because there were no crowds and the weather was only a few degrees colder than spring or fall. I did miss  the beautiful flowers you see everywhere during spring, summer and fall.

I've also been to Switzerland in summer and winter.  Summer is lush, crowded and can be hot. (Swiss AC is not like our AC)  Winter is beautiful if you like snow.  It is also COLD.