Respected Contributor

Re: In Defense of Overpacking

Oh my Samsonite lugage, now that is memory. I got a set for HS graduation. I had beige and I remember a green color too. Since I am a pack rat and because we always had a large attic, I saved so much old stuff. It was only a few months ago that we did a major declutter and donated the Samsonite. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi I had a white set in high school. Remember the tiny, tiny wheels?

Then I got a complete set many years late that was maroon, still with the tiny wheels. I even had the clear plastic covers that were made for all of them by Samsonite. One time I was standing in line at the airport and the guy behind me laughed at the covers and asked if I thought it was going to rain. LOL! Told him they were to protect the luggage. And indeed they did! When I finally gave them all away, without the covers on them, they looked brand new. Not a scratch on them. ha!

I don't remember green, but my sister had a brown set.

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler 

Thanks for posting the overpacking travel information!    

I usually pack according to mode of travel  (plane v car).  I try not to overpack <G>

For years DH crammed his stuff into the carry on bag for a one week trip. Now he is taking a larger checked bag and a computer rolling bag that has some extra space as carry on.   

We would visit  MIL/FIL for a weekend and they would comment and fuss about how much stuff  we had brought along?  They were very proud that they traveled  LIGHT.   

One visit I had heard more than enough and responded  WELL?  WE TRAVEL HEAVY!  

Now when Kiddo and Girlfriend visit they bring a lot of stuff it seems to me but it is  *OK*

What drives me a little crazy is drastic weather changes.  DH is in Minnesota this week and took along a warm fleece jacket and business overcoat.  It was 80degrees in GA when he left on Monday and he travels prepared for cold weather.   (BRRrrrr)  

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler

Your story about the covers reminded me of the plastic wrap like covers some airports provide (at a charge) for suitcases.  I can’t remember which foreign airport - I’m thinking it was in Brazil - but it seemed like I was the only person not getting it done! Was very popular there.  Definitely not a bad idea if it protects the luggage (and likely protects against stealing what’s in the bag.)

To refer to the OP post, I have never been sorry taking too much, but have always regretted taking that one item out of my bag.  But, sometimes it is necessary to pack lighter than wanted due to airline/tour restrictions.  Rest assured, if there’s no restrictions, I skirt so close to the weight limit for checked bags that I routinely break it!!

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego I have seen a lot of covered luggage too in various countries. I just assumed it was because something broke (handle, hinge, etc.) and that was to keep the whole thing together! ha! And you are right...doubt anyone would try to steal what is inside. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Oh my Samsonite lugage, now that is memory. I got a set for HS graduation. I had beige and I remember a green color too. Since I am a pack rat and because we always had a large attic, I saved so much old stuff. It was only a few months ago that we did a major declutter and donated the Samsonite. 

For high graduation I received 3 pieces (large, medium & train case) of American Tourister in red.  It weighed a ton.

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@granddi wrote:

For high graduation I received 3 pieces (large, medium & train case) of American Tourister in red.  It weighed a ton.

I also had that 3 piece set in white.  I always wanted the red.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

An article called In Defense of Overpacking, by Taffy Brodesser-Akner, in the Winter 2017 edition of VIA, a magazine by AAA Insurance/Travel company, got my attention. Taffy is also a contributing writer for GQ and the New York Times Magazine.

Her article is a mixture of humor, common sense, and perhaps a bit of defying the status quo, but I really enjoyed her questioning why we should travel light when for some, more luggage makes for a happier vacation. To get a sample of her style, here is an excerpt:

“I am an overpacker, and I am not ashamed. Call me a revolutionary if you must, but I cling to the notion that vacations should be comfortable. When I fly, I still check luggage, or ship it ahead of time. I bring a big suitcase, plus a small one, on weekend road trips. I pack contingency outfits and just-in-case wear. I put in a redundant pair of shoes that goes better with Contingency Outfit One than Main Outfit Two. I bring two books, the one I’m reading and a backup, so I won’t run out of material. I carry a full complement of cosmetics, because I am not 25 anymore. In other words, I bring choices.”

She offers tongue-in-cheek comments and goes completely against the present suggestions for packing. She makes me laugh with the following:

“I know schlepping all that stuff is a hassle and expense. I not only contribute to the nearly $4 billion that U.S. airlines collect annually in baggage fees, but often end up tipping porters, drivers, bellhops, or others, because I literally can’t carry all I’ve brought with me. You might think that’s foolish, but here’s the thing: it costs more money, and valuable vacation time, to buy additional clothes or toiletries at my destination.”

I thoroughly enjoyed envisioning her on her travels with this section of the article. It brought a smile to my face:

“I’ve tried to pare down. The summer before last, I took a week-long trip to Switzerland with only a large backpack. Traveling light wasn’t more convenient. I quickly ended up with two pairs of dirty jeans, a stained shirt, a smelly shirt, no makeup, and no options. In Zurich, I was cold at night, because my only sweater got damp. In the Alps, I had to buy a jacket, which didn’t fit into my bag. I carried it over my arm for two days until I finally bought a suitcase in Zermatt.”

Towards the end of her article she perhaps justifies (or maybe talks herself into believing) her decision to carrying so much luggage:

“Personally, I pity the light packers. When I arrive at my destination, I have enough choices and creature comforts to feel at home in another place. Because that’s why I travel, to feel more at home in the world.”

What a fun article to read!

This is all about me!!!! I am such an over packer .  I love my comfort to have choices!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I would sooner have too much stuff than not enough!  Traveling is stressful anyway for me and not to have the things I may need available make it just not fun at all and the purpose of most travel is to enjoy yourself.  I won't deviate from my  skin care rountine and don't want to just take bare essentials.  I don't want to have to wash clothes, wear unclean clothing or wear the same thing over and over and not have appropriate shoes etc.  If I have to do that, I'd sooner just stay home!! 

I sign under each statement!!!

Esteemed Contributor

UGH 

I tried to pack a little this weekend and gave up.

Am limited to a 24x10x10 bag (plus a smaller carryon).  Is impossible I say!!  I’m also overweight and my clothes are just bigger!! Guess that’s one more reason to lose weight.  Sigh.

My tour group actually sent a very nice bag to use - and I was excited about how nice it was so I could return the one I bought.  But, the sides weren’t squared off so am using the new buy - need every last bit of space I can get!!  LOL