Honored Contributor

? If you have recently stayed in a hotel with room service. How was room service?

How is room service in hotels during the pandemic? Can you order from a full menu?

Are the hours morning, noon, night? Has food quality declined? Any particular hotels you recommend, especially those with hotels in a few cities. Only U.S. are of interest to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: ? If you have recently stayed in a hotel with room service. How was room service?

I think it all depends mostly on the hotel itself. Probably may depend on the area. Most hotels website have any restrictions posted. If not, I would call a hotel in the area I am interested in.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ? If you have recently stayed in a hotel with room service. How was room service?

Took 2 road trips one in Aug, one in Sept.

No room service whatsoever. We had Door Dash deliver and met them in the lobby. Some was hit or miss, some quite good.

Even housekeeping is limited which I actually like. Nobody banging on my door early am! On demand service only but you can pick up fresh towels at the front desk.

Respected Contributor

I don't know what area you have in mind, but by me restaurants are still struggling, primarily to be staffed. Many have cut back to only being open a few days a week. They open later, and close earlier. They've cut back on their menu. Eat in or take out only depends on if they have a waitstaff that day.

I imagine hotel restaurants are having the same problem. A restaurant is not a hotel's top priority. 

You really need to call any hotel you find. Then check what might be available in the area.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Mindy D !  My husband and I did a road trip in August from Vegas to Dallas to pick up our new puppy.  Every night different hotel different hotel chain.  Pleasantly surprised by La Quinta, Best Western Plus.  We stayed at one that had restaurant in hotel but you couldn't charge to room, separate hotel and bar - Best Western Rio Grande Inn in Albuquerque.  All others we ended up ordering out.  We'd stopped in Gallup, NM, Amarillo, TX both ways, stayed with a friend in the Dallas area, and Flagstaff.  Mostly on Route 66, such history!  Uber Eats or Door Dash or one of the other delivery services can get you anything you want.

Honored Contributor

After reading some responses, it sounds like every place is different. We were in Atlantic City a few weeks ago and all was open. Room service all meals, room cleaning every day and all restaurants open. I think that area is different than what you might be planning though. I don’t gamble so it wasn’t a fun trip for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've stayed a total of five nights in La Quinta Peoria AZ and didn't use room service.  There are many options within 3/4 mile so we ordered from Red Lobster and Paneras  several times and quickly picked up; no problems.  Also shopped at Trader Joes as we had in room microwave. Easy peasy!

Trusted Contributor

We went to Hershey Park with the girls in early August and stayed at a beautiful resort that we had been to before (not Hershey related).

There were some major changes to everything about our stay, but I had read about it on their website before making the decision to go.

Room Service was ONLY  available if you requested it.  Having two kids, we did request it each day.  Everything was cleaned as usual, pre-pandemic.

They have two great on-site restaurants that we had LOVED.  The one that was our favorite (more family friendly), isn't reopening until 2022.  This was the restaurant that provided room service, so room service was non-existent.  The other restaurant was only opened Wednesday-Sunday.  The first day of our trip was on a Tuesday, but it didn't really matter.

Using the pool was a lot different too.  You had to get a card with a timestamp on it.  You could only stay for 3 hours at a time.  That went for both indoor and outdoor pools. I didn't think it was a big deal when I booked the trip, but when we got there, I saw how crowded it was. I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to enjoy ourselves, but it ended up working out perfectly.  We never got kicked out (lol) and we were able to stay as long as we wanted to.  It also turned out that they had opened an outdoor bar/restaurant, so we were able to eat dinner by the pool 2 times during our stay.

The hotel ended up being the favorite part of our trip!

Esteemed Contributor

I think you will find a lot of different experiences throughout the country.  Our little experience was a week in Ogunquit Maine in August (short road trip for us).  Our hotel did have a restuarant but due to lack of staffing did not offer room service.  They would allow you to order it and pick it up though.   We also had minimal housekeeping which was fine, we tend to be quite neat.  They would leave fresh towels on the doorknob in a sealed bag and we would put the dirty ones in that bag for them to pick up.  It all worked out well but it was much busier than I thought it would be therefore forfeiting ANY pool time.  The pool did not accomadate the size of the hotel which was a total bummer for us.  Other than that there was some fun shopping and dining out in the area so all in all it was a nice week.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family stayed in a big NY city hotel in Aug, and room service came around every day to check if we needed anything or if we wanted our room cleaned. We only had them take our trash and give us fresh towels.

For their breakfast buffet you prepare your own breakfast, and take it to your room. Breakfast was very good, we had hard boiled eggs, huge bagels, fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses, protein/energy bars etc.  Very well done.