Super Contributor

My husband and I want to spend a month or two in Florida as snowbirds.  My question is how to find homes, townhouses, condos for monthly rental.  We want to spend our time near Ocala, FL.  TIA

Frequent Contributor

Re: I need snowbird advice....

Wish my reply could contain a possible solution for you, but I could have created your post.  We are in the same situation.  I have contacted two agents in Florida, and neither one has be able to come up wtih anything.  I'm open to any location, but what I'm hearing is that no one wants to rent for less than 3 months.  In fact, many communities have by-laws that state that the owners may not lease for less than 3 months.  I was told that they want to discourage transients.  And right now, it is a sellers market, so I guess they can do what they want.  Good luck though!

Honored Contributor

VIBRO. dot. Com

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

www.zillow.com    www.trulia.com     are 2 sites that might show short term rentals.  You might try Leesburg and The Villages not far from Ocala.

There are more "snowbirds" further south where I live....Charlotte and Sarasota counties.  However, they book pretty quickly with return clients.

Esteemed Contributor

Husband & I are spending a month in January in Florida. A relative is house sitting and caring for pet -- lucky us. Husband's retiring at the end of the year and I have a flexible part-time job (post career retirement). vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner) has monthly options at reduced prices. Our 4 bedroom rental near the beach is a quarter of the regular nightly price since we rented for a month. Recently read a negative review here about vrbo -- but we've used for 20 years -- zero problems. Sure, there are cleaning fees, refundable deposits that you pay up front, and management handling fees but you can also pay in increments - depending on owner or management group. Also check floridasnowbird.com. Fewer options than vrbo. We don't use airbnb but friends do -  that's another option. We try to schedule our rental a year ahead of time -- so start searching. Good luck to you.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://www.vrbo.com/search/keywordsSmiley Surprisedcala-fl-usa/arrival:2020-01-01/departure:2020-01-31?adultsCount=...

Right click -- open in new window -- Get familiar with vrbo search web site. You can adjust number of bedrooms, price options, rental dates, etc. Gives you price break down and immediately estimates cost. Provides place to email owner with questions.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Along with the options that others have offered, I'd suggest checking with realtors/rental agencies in the area. As I've come to find out, many times they list their properties on many websites such as VRBO, but if you rent directly from them, you aren't subject to the fees that those websites charge to act as a middle man. 

If you're looking to rent this upcoming 2019/2020 season, be prepared to have very limited options as many properties are rented a year in advance. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

do a air b&b you can find short term rentals like that maybe. or if you know you will only need it shortly you can buy and rent it out when you are not there.  

Honored Contributor

My husband and I do this every couple of winters.  Most people will only rent for the months of Jan, Feb and March.  They do not want to rent for only one month.  March is extremely expensive...spring break occurs then.

Also, if you do find someone to rent for one month only, they start taking reservations a year in advance.  Most people who rent will rebook for the following year while they are there.

There are still some places on VRBO and Airbnb, but the better less expensive places are already booked.  I"d check them out anyhow.  Sometimes there are cancellations.

Try looking in January for the following winter.    

Honored Contributor

Our gated golf course community has a realtor & bulletin board with renters looking for 3 month stays.  Our Administrator can directs the people who call to a vrbo website and a few others.

Many snowbirds have been renting the same homes for years BUT this year I heard there is quite a shortage.  I've had couples call me to rent my place knowing I usually go north during. holdayseason.   I would in a heartbeat (they go for $2300-2700/mth) and minimum 4 months.

This year many people sold their rentals because home prices have skyrocketed this past year!  Leaving very few for short term   snowbirds