Respected Contributor

Re: I miss everyone's travel stories

@Pink123    oh yes! Sissi!  the tour guide did go by the Hofburg and the Sissi Museum and we learned all about her. Yes she was very beautiful!   

We went by a building with gold trim...was this a part of Sissi's properties?  vienna_goldii.jpg been so long my memory isnt the sharpest!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline No. Sissy is in the Hofburg Palace complex and so the lippizan's are close within a one minute or less  walk. It's a big square.  Still  looking  a picture of these beautiful creatures  when I bumped into their stables. You can spend a lot of time in the Hofburg Palace.

Trusted Contributor

Here's a picture of The Belvedere in Vienna.

20230422_124419 belvedere.jpg

Here is the stable for the Lipizzan's I bumped into on a side sreet.  "Pegasus" is flying overhead.  Gorgeous. These beautiful white horses have it made and live a good life.  It takes years to train them.  I did see hay and I told my BF the stables are close.

If you zoom in you can see their heads sticking out of the stable.

I find the Habsburg dynasty fascinating.  Will buy more books on the history of the Holy Roman Empire.

IMG-20230425-WA0003 lipizan astalls.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I agree @Hoovermom.  At this point we have had it and/or are fully vaccinated.   

On my recent trip to Europe there was not a sign it even existed anymore or in the doctor office's here.  People are happy and moving on with their lives.  Yes, a lot of mental anguish, mental scars exist's for some though and I understand those that are afraid.  

Respected Contributor

@Pink123    there is a mini-series on Netflix:   "The Empress". Elisabeth... all about Sissi and begins with her bethrothal to Emperor Franz. 

I'm watching the English dub version.     The cinematography is lovely. The story sort of takes liberties with the truth. this adds to the drama.  like the night before the wedding, Sissi goes to a Soiree somewhere in the castle which is sort of like a nightclub and drinks absinthe. She's a bit hungover the next day.  Of course Franz' lecherous younger brother has a thing for her too...and there is a sneaky one of her ladies of the court plotting with some others...

the costumes are gorgeous...

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline   Thank you I will find this and watch this myself when alone. 

There are several old movies about her but we could not get them.

Don't  know why because we have all the movie chanels available.

I'm looking forward to it in the summer. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

PS. She was gorgeous, oh my goodness.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I missed this one of many pictures I'm looking over from Austria.

Here's a picture from our hotel room about 4 floors up  overlooking the Salzach river, Salzburg to the fortress in Aldtstadt.  So beautiful. A quick bridge walk to it all.

The rooftop bar and restaurant is open form spring to winter.

Mozart's  birthplace is there.

20230427_110027[589] salzburg.jpg