Respected Contributor

I miss everyone's travel stories

It seems since the pandemic sidlined travel we have not had the trip sharing reports and photos. I have gotten ideas, enjoyment and inspiration from hearing trip stories. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I miss everyone's travel stories

I miss them, too!

I'm always one for a long weekend road trip but inflation is seriously eating away my budget !

Esteemed Contributor

Same here. I stopped traveling after Covid. It seems that almost everyone I know who's been on a plane traveling (they're all vaccinated) has gotten either Covid or RSV. Talk about sick....for weeks! There's no way I'm gonna put myself in that target rich environment. Also hotel rooms that we rented in the past, for example, in Newport, Rhode Island are 4 times higher. It's just not worth it. As much as I miss travel. I will put my money to something much more tangible. 

Esteemed Contributor

I admit that I haven’t felt “right” posting about some of my trips - and I’ve actually been on a few great ones in 2021 and 2022. I have a full 2023 planned and will try to start posting them again (have a short Austin trip planned next month). Selfishly, I like being able to go back and read them!
Honored Contributor

Too expensive and too unsafe. I have no intention of making travel plans. I find it very sad. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know for me travel is no longer fun.

Getting through security at the airports is a pain. I have been taken to side rooms to be interrogated, full body scans, had to talk to 3 TSA Supervisors,  had to remove my sweater down to my camisole and swabbed for explosives. I am 71 years old. Guess TSA thinks I fit a certain profile.

I have to add at least another hour to go through security. Because it is a given I will need it.

We had gone on a cruise to Alaska and wanted to take another one. But I really would rather not deal with all that we had to go through to go on the cruise. We had to go through Customs quite a bit. Because some of the places we visited were in the US and some in Canada.  Canada went through everything thoroughly so the lines were long and took forever. We thought were going to miss our connecting flight.

And the Port when we got off the cruise was HORRIBLE. The cruise line had everyone"s luggage tagged according to when their planes were departing. If you had an early plane departure your luggage was taken off the ship first. The dock workers did not pay attention to the tags on the luggage. They just put the luggage wherever they wanted.

Then people started to panic. The luggage was in no order. So people were paying dock workers to help find their luggage. So then no additional luggage was being brought off the ship. The dock workers were making additional $$$ from people.

There was one bus at the terminal. No one was on it because no one could find their luggage. The additional buses were not sent to the terminal until the bus left. I guess the cruise line only pays for a certain amount of space for buses. I can just imagine a large group of people finally finding their luggage and then there only being one bus.

We finally landed at Philadelphia Airport. And got our luggage. My bag was soaked. My husband had packed bottles of liquor in our suitcases to even out the weight. I let my husband hear me all the way home. Of course the bottle of liquor broke in MY suitcase. Got home, opened the suitcase, the inside was dry. The only airport we encountered where there was rain was Philadelphia. So my suitcase must have sat in a puddle long enough to be saturated with water.

Not sure I want to go through that again. It is sad because the cruise itself was WONDERFUL.

One of the last times I flew. The airline lost my checked suitcase. I was going to a wedding. My suitcase had the dress for the Rehearsal Dinner, dress for Bride's breakfast and dress for Family Brunch the day after the wedding. Thankfully I ran out of room in my suitcase and the dress for the wedding was in my son's suitcase. So I had to wear the same dress for 3 days. 

Since a kid, I had traveled quite a bit and liked going places and seeing different places. But it seems like there is so much "stuff" you now have to deal with. I think is it worth it.

Respected Contributor

I agree with you all. 

Many years ago, I read some advice that if you planned to squirrel away your airline miles and travel the world at retirement, you may be disappointed. Guess the disappointment can come in many ways and reasons. 

Getting COVID in Canada, was a real eye opener about the risk of becoming ill outside the US even with travel insurance. 

Respected Contributor

We started off the "covid era" in Puerto Rico with the lockdown and made it home safely.  Since then we have travelled twice a year on planes, cruises and land, in and out of the U.S.,  and have not gotten sick.  Yes, things have changed and not for the better, but we are still going on vacation.  It's a journey but well worth all of it for the relaxation we receive.  I'm sure I am not the only one who has continued to travel but the condemnation has been pretty bad at times on these forums, so people won't admit to going.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego   Please do share.  I’ve read a few of you previous trips, and they sounded wonderful.  Don’t feel bad, post and let us enjoy.  

We have traveled only within driving distance the last few years.  The airport isn’t fun for sure.  I remember my dad taking us as kids to watch the planes land and take off  (I’m 60+).  It was fun to see people dressed up, and enjoying their travel experience.  

Respected Contributor

DH and I are going on a Viking River Cruise of the Danube from the 7th to the 14th.  We will start in Budpest then travel to Vienna then through some towns in Germany and finish in Munich.  I would be happy to share a travel story when we get back.