Super Contributor

I’m leaving for the UK on Monday

[ Edited ]

KWe leave on Monday for the UK, Torquay in Devon to be precise.  We were born in London and have lived in CA for 37 years.  We could never afford a property in or close to London, so I searched online for something affordable, but in a nice area.  Devon provided that for us.  For any Doc Martin fans, the village of Port Wenn, or Port Isaac as it is really called, is only an hour away, so this is one of our planned trips.  Last year we spent most of the time painting, carpeting, furnishing this little flat (apartment) and except for the bed and TV, everything came for the numerous charity shops!  Its amazing what you can find in these little shops.  Plus the money goes to excellent causes, eg British Heart Foundation.

During our stay I joined QVC there, and found some nice things.  Its much less hard sell than here in the US.  I am looking forward to spending time back home again, learning to drive on the left again, and recognizing all of the coins.  Devon is in the south west corner of Britain and is quite beautiful.  Dartmoor, Exmoor are all around.  My favorite thing to do is find ‘a local’!  A little pub, out of town, and very social.  If the landlord and staff are not welcoming to strangers, we buy one drink and don’t go back.  The village pub is not always about the drinking, as much as the social side of life.  Finally, I cant wait to see ‘real churches’ - by that I mean stone churches built in the 14th or 15th Century.  I have never been able to enjoy modern CA churches, where people clap at weddings etc.  

New Contributor

Re: I’m leaving for the UK on Monday

Bless your heart! It all sounds so marvelous. I envy you, in a good way. I loved the James Herriot books and reading of (and longing for , the Yorkshire Dales) I always thought the Lakes District very compelling, too. I hope you will write more about your adventures and expereinces...so that i might live vicariously through them. Smiley Wink

Are you going for a visit and vacation?  Have a wonderful, marvelous, happy time - I hope you will find the pub full of fun and interest!  

Super Contributor

Now we’re both retired, we decided to go for a longer time than the average vacation, so we will be there for 4 months.  With the cost of the fares, and the flight time, it’s very tiring to go for a couple of weeks.  Everyone wants to see you, but don’t understand how difficult that is, especially as we have family and friends around the country.

I’ll be happy to blog about my trip for anyone who is interested. 

Respected Contributor

Have a wonderful time in the UK.  I've never been but would love to go some day.  Please do blog about your trip so the rest of us can enjoy it.  Safe travels. 

Honored Contributor

Have a wonderful time!

I haven't been to the UK but we hope to go soon someday. Now that DH is retired we're starting to go more places but he has some health issues so some travel will have to be curtailed.

We're going with extended family on a tour in Ireland in September.  It will be a lot of fun but touring part of the country is certainly much different than actually living with locals and seeing everyday life.

I would love to see your blog!  It will give some of us a taste of life from a more local point of view rather than an American tourist just visiting places that tourists tend to go.

Esteemed Contributor

@AJW wrote:

I’ll be happy to blog about my trip for anyone who is interested. 

I’m interested!  Would love to read whatever you have time to share. Like it’s already  been said, will be interesting to get the perspective of someone returning home after living in the states for so long (even if it’s only for a few months.)

Respected Contributor

I would love to read your blog if you decide to do one too!  

Honored Contributor

AJW

I hope you have the best time there and that things have worked out that you are able to spend an extended vacation. Please keep us posted. I would like to hear about your adventure.

I have been to London twice. Really enjoyed the trips. Glad you are able to stay for 4 months. Sounds exciting. Glad things have worked out well. It seems like your trip is well planned and that you have smooth travels.

Honored Contributor

Yes, please check in when you can.  Would love to hear how and what you're doing.

My mother was from Bournemouth.  Last year I went to England but went to London north.  Hope to go back again and get to Bournemouth.

Honored Contributor

AJW !!

I think it is wonderful you are returning to your homeland !!!  I visited England many years ago and it is beautiful with so much culture and things to do.  I'm sure you will settle in and be happy and  comfortable.

Have a safe, smooth flight as you start on your new venture, the best of luck to you!!!!