Trusted Contributor

Re: I could plan a trip just to visit favorite restaurants from my past

Newicks Lobster House in Dover NH.  Been years and years since I have been there.  But boy I remember some great seafood lunch and dinners there!

Respected Contributor

The Flying Fish Bone in Aruba.......on the water with tables in the sand, water lapping at your feet, sun going down over the water, and the "Chef's Choice" for our dinner menu.......ahhhhh.............

Honored Contributor

I've never eaten anywhere that the food would be THE draw for my return.  To me, it's just food, I'm not impressed, and therefore prefer to eat at home.   

Esteemed Contributor

I think food is an important component of traveling and I try to take a food tour whenever I'm in a new city.  However, I'm embarrassed to say that there isn't necessarily a restaurant that I remember fondly.  Maybe if it was a location that I returned to repeatedly, there would be one particular place.  Really the only restaurant that I can think of that I've repeatedly gone to would be Chops on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship - and, I wouldn't take a cruise just for that!  Smiley Happy

I do still have wonderful food memories - the perfect ham sandwich from a grocer in the south of France, gelati in Rome (and again in Positano - was literally just reminiscing about this with mom a few days ago!), and these incredible pillows of bread in Parma with very thinly sliced parma ham.

Esteemed Contributor

So many great restaurants all over the world and sadly some of them now closed during Pandemic ( bye bye Indian Wells Valley Lodge, Idle Spurs and Mrs K's Toll House). Two of my favorites that are definitely still open:  The Shed in Santa Fell N.M. and Lotus of Siam knows Vegas ( could every meal there whenever I visit for a week). The Hitching Post in Casmila CA and Jockos on Central Coast are both excellent steak houses.

Respected Contributor

Well,I love lobster tail along with a small ribeye.i don't order this to often,because of the price.but when I do,I go to a place called miss mamies in illinios.best garlic salad,coldest beer in town!
Respected Contributor

Oh man, now I'm having cravings for the shrimp and grits at Blue Marlin in Bradenton Beach, Florida. It's a tiny little place in an old cottage. I usually make my reservations a month in advance, but man, is it worth it! 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Il Latini in Florence Italy & 11 Madison Park NYC which just reopened but now vegetarian. They are very creative and I loved their previous menu but it is very pricey for vegetables tho I'm sure they will serve creative dishes.  However, my husband can't eat seeds & is reluctant to eat there not knowing exactly what is in the food. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass I think you are referencing Captain George's Seafood Buffet in VA Beach.  It's still going strong and our Covid cases are way down- might be worth a visit😉

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

@depglass I think you are referencing Captain George's Seafood Buffet in VA Beach.  It's still going strong and our Covid cases are way down- might be worth a visit😉

There is a Captain George resturant in Williamsburg, VA too, though the one in Virginia Beach has a better atmosphere....lovely stained glass ceiling.

It used to be worth the trip, but the quality has gone down and the price went up. We still stop in when we our down that way though. Their Oysters Rockefeller are a favorite of mine.