Respected Contributor

Re: I contracted COVID on my Tauck tour

Not covid related but travel related. 

A neighbor who travels often got back from a tour group that went to Greece. The booking co. did a bait and switch when they got to Greece and they ended up in a dive hotel in a very bad part of town where prostitutes were on the corners and fights out front. Terrible everything. She asked for a refund but we'll see.

I don't know how you could prevent that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4  Who was the tour provider?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:

@luvmyteddy4  Who was the tour provider?

I tried to find her post on next door but it's deleted now.  If you really want to know I can send her a message.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4  That's okay - would have been nice to know, but don't go out of your way. I just try to keep some companies in the back of my mind as a good option (or, bad!) in case an opportunity arises. Was just wondering if they were a well known company that I would have crossed paths.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:

@luvmyteddy4  That's okay - would have been nice to know, but don't go out of your way. I just try to keep some companies in the back of my mind as a good option (or, bad!) in case an opportunity arises. Was just wondering if they were a well known company that I would have crossed paths.

When I see her post again I'll ask her.  I know she has traveled a ton abroad over the years pre-covid and this might be her first or second trip since then. An older woman that gets around!

Valued Contributor

l just got back from a week long bus tour to several states . 12 hours after getting home l got violently ill  . l traveled with 4 relatives and they got sick as well . And besides the stomach virus , 3 of us tested positive for covid .  The bus had 58 people on it , we were close together for 6 days , l wonder how many others got sick or got covid . And wondering what would of happened had the stomach virus hit sooner ,  How would you deal with a bus full of elderly people that have vomiting and diarrhea and your miles away from home . ?  Unfortunately my husband , who wasn't on the trip , and is immunosuppressed has gotten the covid from me . He could get really sick , He just tested positive today . 

Respected Contributor

@granddiIt's a shame your trip was ruined. I didn't see where you said you and your DH wore masks to protect yourselves. No matter. You read and signed the document that said you would be on your own if you became sick. Since you feel Tauck treated you badly, don't use them again. I hope there are no lasting problems from having Covid. We all make decisions about using masks or not and then we have to live with the consequences. We took our family to Costa Rica in Oct and none of us wore masks. We had all been vaccinated and decided to take the risk.

Respected Contributor

@brandiwinewrote:

@granddiIt's a shame your trip was ruined. I didn't see where you said you and your DH wore masks to protect yourselves. No matter. You read and signed the document that said you would be on your own if you became sick. Since you feel Tauck treated you badly, don't use them again. I hope there are no lasting problems from having Covid. We all make decisions about using masks or not and then we have to live with the consequences. We took our family to Costa Rica in Oct and none of us wore masks. We had all been vaccinated and decided to take the risk.

It is kind of you to take the time to reply.

I originally posted this to point out several problems that we encounted while traveling.

The form we signed with Tauck said that travelers understand that Tauck is not responsible if the traveler becomes ill (with covid or any other ailment). The informed consent did not indicate that travelers are "on their own" if he/she contacts covid.

I mentioned the tour company specifically because Tauck is regarded as tops in service. I don't think we were treated badly. I expected service commensurate with the fees they charge. Many travel blogs are sharing similar experiences. By the way, It has been just short of 90 days and the Tauck Travel Insurance has yet pay.

I did not tell the story to discourage travel. I didn't tell the story to instill fear of travel. I told the story to share that the best make plans often are met with problems.

I enjoy the travel forum probably the most of any on the Q site. I have learned from others and was willing to share.

Occasional Contributor

Hi @judianne , I'm so sorry that you, three of your traveling relatives, and your husband all became ill with COVID-19.  How are you all doing now?  What kind of treatments did you have?  Did your fourth traveling relative, who became ill but did not test positive for COVID-19 ever test positive later?

Respected Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

When I see her post again I'll ask her.  I know she has traveled a ton abroad over the years pre-covid and this might be her first or second trip since then. An older woman that gets around!

I saw she posted about the trip to Greece again. The tour co was called Exoticca Tours.

She sued them for a refund and was denied saying they furnished her with a hotel. She is furious.