Esteemed Contributor

Re: I contracted COVID on my Tauck tour

@granddi wrote:

We have been very very careful to not get covid. Like so many others, we decided it was time to get back to normal. We chose a 10 day Canada small group tour with Tauck. Small group better than big group-check. Tauck- stellar reputation-check. Canada was 2 hours from US if any problems occurred-check.

Before the trip every traveler signs a covid waiver (they call it a pledge). It says if you get covid you will not hold Tauck responsible blah,blah. It also says if you get covid you "will be separated from the group." Of course that is what should happen. A traveler should self report covid and isolate to protect everyone. Only 4 of 13 couples wore masks. We took our own self tests-just in case. To my knowledge there were no test provided to travelers.

On day 7, my husband described feeling like "i'm coming down with a cold" He said I'm going to test when we arrive at the hotel. Sure enough he tested positive. We immediately notified the tour director. He came to our room collected our vox devices and said the company will be in contact with us. He kept shouting : It is the law. You cannot leave Canada for 5 days. Then said : you have to have an official lab test (vs home test) to qualify for travel insurance. Where do we get testing? He said to ask at the front desk. He left our room. Is there a travel agent nearby? Check with the front desk.

Tour guide said : every trip has had someone get sick!

The next morning we got a text from director that said Smiley Very Happyo not show at any event. You have been separated from the tour. Of course we would never have exposed anyone with covid.Our email from the company said the same. It went on to say that we are responsible for making any medical, hotel, travel rearrangement. We had Tauck travel insurance but that is coverage AFTER the trip interuption. 

We located a test site a short cab ride from the hotel. The challenge was we were in French speaking Quebec! Thank goodness for the translation app on the phone! Could we get Plaxovid? Answer: no you have to go to hospital for that.

We made our way home. 

I do not blame Tauck for our getting covid. We would never continue with group and expose anyone. It was disappointing that we were immediately abandoned by Tauck. Just check with the front desk, was their answer for every question.

The insurance claim is going to be a mess! If interested I'll share what happening with this.

Before you travel, think through what you will do if you become ill. We thought we had a good plan. We were traveling with a top group, had insurance and in close proxomity to US.

When Tauck said "separated from the group" they meant WE ARE DONE WITH YOU. You are on your own.

@granddi - we travel exclusively with Tauck and have been very pleased through the years.  We went to Croatia/Italy last year with a small group.  I think we were the first tour there since COVID.  I was very pleased with their preventive measures and our tour director was quite strict.  Being a small group we spread out on the bus & really were responsible and stuck together being we were all older.  I did get sick in Slovenia and the TD was quite responsive.  I tested myself with a home kit & was neg.  The TD arranged for a PCR test next day and the doctor came to our room & results were left with the desk in an envelope which was neg.  She did arrange for a doctor who was not helpful but it wasn't the TD's fault.  Luckily, two fellow travelers were doctors and they said they didn't want to impose but were worried as we did not make the day trip & asked what the problem was.  One of them gave me his medication and I was fine the next day.  At that time, the countries had mandatory testing for exit & entry plus strict masking policies and no mask, no entry.  Italy had monitors patrolling at indoor venues enforcing masking.  We all came home safely 

I think in this day and age with COVID, you bring out the important fact that you can't access care easily in a foreign country.  Tests are not always accessible & care is not always comparable to US standards.  We are booked to travel to Scotland with Tauck this month.  I'm not anxious and I'm vaccinated & double boosted & I am very careful.  One has to think about accessible medical care especially if your older as I am.  But, I don't know how many traveling years lie ahead of me and I'm not willing to give up what I love any longer.   I hope I don't have the same experience and, more importantly, I hope Tauck has not lowered their standards as I have always trusted traveling with them. 

Trusted Contributor

@granddi   At least you were honest about it and reported it.  I wonder how many actually don't so they won't have to deal with the hassle. 

Please update us on the travel insurance claims and process.  I have always wondered how easy or difficult travel insurance companies are to deal with. 

Honored Contributor

it is not safe yet to party in crowds or travel. Make every excuse possible...  but, most likely though you will get covid. If you want to stay well... stay home for a few more years... if you want to risk covid and the covid related illnesses that follow after you get covid... do risky behavior like group travel.... telling yourself that it is time to start living again.... 

NOT ME.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

it is not safe yet to party in crowds or travel. Make every excuse possible...  but, most likely though you will get covid. If you want to stay well... stay home for a few more years... if you want to risk covid and the covid related illnesses that follow after you get covid... do risky behavior like group travel.... telling yourself that it is time to start living again.... 

NOT ME.

@SeaMaiden :  Do you really believe we have to stay home for a few more years?  Come on..........

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

NOT ME.

@SeaMaiden :  Do you really believe we have to stay home for a few more years?  Come on..........

@Hoovermom  Yes...and I believe more and worse viruses are in our very near future....

Esteemed Contributor

I wasted two years of my life and love travel. I am very cautious but not willing to shelter in place the rest of my life. I traveled last year in September for the first time with no problem. It was anxiety provoking awaiting test results which were mandatory then but not now. And, I did get sick but travel with home tests which I advise to anyone wishing to travel.

But, you can travel safely. I am cautious here and was there & did not get COVID nor did anyone in our small group. I travel Tauck and leaving Monday for Scotland.
Honored Contributor

@granddi  I believe we would have done exactly what you did. Get home as fast as possible.  Take precautions as best we can, but getting care for ourselves would have been the priority.

Honored Contributor

It's a shame Tauck wasn't more helpful, but you knew what you signed up for. Personally, I wouldn't travel ouside the country yet, even to Canada.  Too much can go wrong, even with best-laid plans.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi 

I appreciate your brutal honesty and openness in sharing your travel dilemma. By now I hope you and your husband are fully recovered.

Your post only reinforces my opinion that I do not need to travel to find joy in my life.

I feel the world is a bit upside down as it relates to COVID. A case in point...a few weeks ago a friend had a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. She of course was required to test prior to surgery, BUT she could test at HOME. Her hospital must believe strongly in the honor system. If someone didn't want their surgery delayed, well you know they could simply report a negative test (providing they were asymptomatic).

A few days later I was scheduled for surgery for a broken wrist. Prior to surgery I was given an appointment to be tested at the hospital. No at-home tests allowed. I assumed I would be in and out in no time. Instead, we had to sit in a waiting room full of others to be tested. I couldn't help but think what a great setting for contracting COVID. 

Super Contributor

Exactly why I have not traveled internationally in over 2 1/2 years...only place I have gone is to the summer beach house (with a private beach) that I rent every year, and to Myrtle Beach (and again rented a house).  We always wear masks when out in public.  Fortunately I have not gotten covid (surprising since I am an RN who has taken care of dozens of covid patients).  

Unfortunate that Tauck treated you that way....