Honored Contributor

Re: I contracted COVID on my Tauck tour

@granddi  Another question......

Did YOU test positive for COVID as your topic states?  You ONLY mention your husband.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Not travel related, but....

On Saturday I called a company to find out if an item was in stock because I needed it for a gift. The customer service rep was coughing and choking throughout the conversation. I asked if she had allergies and she said she was just getting over Covid. She assured me she was no longer contagious but was debating whether or not to teach her Sunday school class the next day. I gave her my opinion.

Respected Contributor

@granddi So sorry to hear your trip didn't work out as Intended. Glad you made it home ok and hope you are feeling better! Sending big hugs your way!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you and your husband are ok or at kesst on the mend.

What would you have rather the company to have done?

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@granddi. Sorry this happened to you.  A couple of questions. 

Did you stay in Canada for the required 5 days?

If not,  how did you get home?   Was your car in Canada?

If it was, why did you take a cab to the doctor?

Did you tell the cabbie you tested positive?  Just wondering how many people you exposed. 

I'll give you a straight answer but before any of you judge us please consider what would you have done?

It was my husband who tested positive. When did the symptoms start? It is not easy to know when is day one. Was it the first day he sneezed? He never had a cough or temp. We tried counting back from the postive test and tried to figure out what day he on.  We kept asking ourselves what was the right thing to do?

If we guessed he was on day 3 then we needed to make our own hotel arrangements. I had not tested positive nor had symptoms. I was certain to get it. What would we do then? Isolate for another 5 days? Here are 2- 75 yo in a non US -non English speaking country. What if one of us needed medical care beyond pallitive? We could not get Paxlovid. Decisions about our own medical situation were outweighing the decision to travel.

We made the decision to leave the next day by air. Was it morally right to travel? I don't know. What would you have done or wanted your parents to do?

Yes, the cab driver knew we were going for testing. 

There is no way to know who or how many people are exposed by a covid positive person. We did our best. As I said, we were one of 4 couple that wore masks. We self reported our infection and told the guide to alert others. He said that is private and he could not share. Once home we wanted to alert a couple that we had had dinner with. I contacted Tauck and said I know you cannot give me their contact information but we have in important message for M/M X could you ask them to contact us. 5 days later our response from Tauck was "what do you want to tell them" 

During the trip one lady was absent for 2 days of activities. Husband said he tummy was upset. Who knows? 

I tested positive the day we arrived home.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac I did not test positive until home.

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

I hope you and your husband are ok or at kesst on the mend.

What would you have rather the company to have done?

My intent to share this story with fellow travelers.

It was to point out that  you may think you have assessed the travel risks but when the emergency actually happens, you may not be as ready as you think. 

The travel industry is trying to get back to normal. My one and only experience with covid and travel was this. At the least, how about a "medical sherpa" contact number for Quebec. When WE located a test center, we had no idea if it was 20 miles away or 2 blocks. We searched for a US type walk in clinic (for paxlovid). If we had had an advisor available to tell us that's not going to hapeen in Canada. 

Guide kept saying that we must isolate for 5 days. Was this 5 days from symptoms or 5 days from positive? I know what the US says but Canada???

I certaintly did not expect a private nurse and a private plane to return us home. I think a local contact would have been most helpful. 

Respected Contributor

@granddi  Again so sorry this had to happen for you. Your post has given me food for thought. 

Honored Contributor

@granddi   So sorry this happened to you and that both of you are currently in good health.  

Esteemed Contributor

I’m sorry this happened to you. I’ve never used Tauck, but based on the reviews I’ve seen here (as well as knowing they are considered a “luxury” brand), I would have expected a little more hand holding in directing you what to do. I also can’t believe they wouldn’t let the other travelers know about the positive case (although sounds like they did it finally).

Hoping you are feeling better.