Honored Contributor

Re: How do you like to get away from it all...

My husband and I once in a while like to go away for the weekend, even if it is not far from home. We stay at a reasonable, but nice hotel, eat out, shop, watch movies and just relax! We try to do this several times a year...We usually are only an hour away from home . It feels good to do it and we actually do feel refreshed when we get home......

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have to. I live in a home that has an ocean view from most of the rooms. I like to sit out on the deck with a good book.

Respected Contributor

I lie down in my sumptuous bed and read.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

manhattan1950,nice, but everyone needs to get away, even those who live in paradise. Same-ole gets stale.

P.S. &BTW: I could say the same. I have a million $$ view of ocean.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@barb40 , in the summer, I go down to the lake by myself, hang out in the lounge chair with a good book and enjoy the sunshine.  Most of the time, I am usually working away in the garden but, every once in awhile, I pitch the gloves amd tools, read, hang out and swim.  On these days, it is a bbq for supper, no cooking for me.

In the winter, I curl up by the woodstove and work on a project or just snooze by the fire.  I make sure there is a day old beef stew for dinner so no cooking required.

Down days are good for the soul.  LM

PS, since we got rid of the landline, it is pure heaven to know that when I answer the phone, it is for me.  I really don’t like talking on the phone after a career of a lot of time there.  When people started calling me because DH didn’t answer his, I nipped that in the bud.  Such peace and quiet is lovely.

Honored Contributor

I prefered stay-at-home vacations before I retired. 

Just sleep late, hang around, go out for lunch and shopping.  Afternoon naps, staying up late watching TV or reading knowing you won't have to get up in the morning, have friends over for an afternoon, go visit friends and relatives.  

Depending on where you live - go to local museums, etc.,  I'm in NYC ... lot of things for me to do now that I'm retired.  

Getting my act together to go out of town even for a few days is a chore.  

Trusted Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

Honestly my favorite get away is my beautiful and private back yard 🌺🌸🌺🥰

@Azcowgirl  I’m with you on that one! I’ve traveled enough in my lifetime. There’s no place like home.....😊🌹🏡

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the very interesting information and suggestions! Hope everyone had a great weekend!