Respected Contributor

Re: How Much Should You Actually Leave in Your Hotel Room for Housekeeping?

@granddi wrote:

First of all, it's a crying shame that these workers are not paid a fair wage with benefits! We tip about $3-5 per day.

Lately, if we are going to be in the hotel for only a couple of days we just get extra towels and put the do not disturb sign. Not trying to be cheap, but we do not have to "put things away" if there is no maid service. I make the bed myself and we like it this way. 

Many hotels post signs that they change sheets every 3 days so I don't need the service of coming into my room to pick up towels and empty trash. 

I travel back and forth to Hawaii all the time.....hotel workers there are union....I still tip!

Respected Contributor

I usually leave $2 per day

Honored Contributor

We just returned from a 5 day cruise.  We had the same stateroom attendant so on the final day, we left $25.00 for him.  He was excellant.

Frequent Contributor

Guests are susposed to feel guilty about how poorly paid the help is? Nonsense! They have a job and why should guests feel the need to supplement their income. Tipping has gotten out of control. 

Honored Contributor

What is wrong with an employer paying their staff what they are worth??

If a service person goes above and beyond the norm, then yes, absolutely tip them! But if the staff feels they aren't appreciated for the hard work they do every day.... they need to complain to management for higher pay for their hard work!  It really upsets me that many service industries (and that includes restaurants) depend on the tips of customers to normalize the pay of those that work for them.  I tip, and I tip 20%.... but it's gotten out of hand with everyone's hand out for their tip.... and meanwhile the hotels, etc. rake in very high profits. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Here is the information from the U.S. Department of Labor page on tipped labor:

A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
QVC Customer Care

Frequent Contributor

Oh, I didn't know there was an entry fee 2 heaven?