Honored Contributor

Re: How Much Should You Actually Leave in Your Hotel Room for Housekeeping?

I generally leave what I have in my wallet.  If I have $3.00, that's what I leave.  If I only have a $5.00 bill, I will leave that.  I always leave daily, not just a larger amount on the last day. 

Esteemed Contributor

We leave $5 a day with a note as cleaning people change and in Hawaii, the cleaning lady wrote a thank you note back every day.  In Australia, they don't take tips unless something is exceptional and beyond the scope of their usual job.  Our guide explained that their salaries are good and that includes the minimum wage; doing a good job is expected.  We left a tip every day with a note and it was never taken.  We called for the IT person in Sydney 10:00 at night for a wifi issue....he was so pleasant and funny.  I tried to tip him because I thought he was exceptional and he politely told me that he worked at the hotel 23 years starting as a bell boy and he never took a tip.  So some cultures may look at tips in a different way.  

Respected Contributor

I have never tipped  for any service outside of dining ever. Never crossed my mind that its expected

Respected Contributor

First of all, it's a crying shame that these workers are not paid a fair wage with benefits! We tip about $3-5 per day.

Lately, if we are going to be in the hotel for only a couple of days we just get extra towels and put the do not disturb sign. Not trying to be cheap, but we do not have to "put things away" if there is no maid service. I make the bed myself and we like it this way. 

Many hotels post signs that they change sheets every 3 days so I don't need the service of coming into my room to pick up towels and empty trash. 

Respected Contributor

I leave $5 each day in an envelope marked "Housekeeping".  The envelopes are labeled before the trip, so they are ready to use.

I found out about tipping hotel maids here on the Q board.

Just never thought of it before.  Now it is part of my travel routine.

Esteemed Contributor

$0.00

I don't tip the maids.

It seems as though everybody has their hand out for a tip today.

Valued Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I leave $5 every morning w/ a note to 'Housekeeping'. 

I usually do the same Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

have never thought to write a note other than "thank you." that is a great idea!

i generally leave $5 a day, but leave it all at the end of my stay.

if i ask for extra pillows, towels, or blankets then i tip the person who delivers them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

Zero.0.

Respected Contributor

Because I'm a single traveler and I leave absolutely nothing out for the maid to clean around.....clothes/shoes are in the closet.....everything else locked in my suitcase which is on the luggage rack....dirty towels on the bathroom floor as directed and garbage in the wastebaskets....... I try to make it as easy as possible for them to be able to actually do the daily clean.....I leave $3 a day as a tip every day.  I don't leave a big tip at the end of my visit because sometimes a different maid will do my room and the last one who cleans isn't necessarily the one who has done it every day. If there was another person in the room with me or a family, I'd probably leave a little more.