Regular Contributor

How Hawaii reopens to visitors

The latest discussion among the powers that be suggests Hawaii will  first reopen for visitors from Japan, New Zealand and Australia.  Senators do not want U.S. citizens as they do not want to follow rules.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

Re: How Hawaii reopens to visitors

Where did you get this information? Sources?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ahoymate wrote:

Where did you get this information? Sources?

Woman Happy  I don't know if this is the same article Seannie is mentioning, but I also read about this part this morning:

"Green says the state will likely require a negative COVID-19 test from any passenger before arriving in Hawaii.

He says travelers from Japan, New Zealand and Australia should be allowed first"

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/05/26/lt-gov-josh-green-hopes-reopen-hawaiis-tourism-industry-by-...

Respected Contributor

Tourism is and will continue to take a deep hit in the Aloha islands.

Esteemed Contributor

@Seannie :  Where does that article state "doesn't want to obey the rules"?  That's not the case; Hawaii wants to first admit countries who have stabilize their rate of infection (which is very low).

Regular Contributor

OP here.  Read about the discussion on Beat of Hawaii.  State Senator Donna Kim was the one who doesn't favor U.S. citizens as they do not want to follow the rules.

I see this daily here.  When DH and I walk our dog and see others without masks (despite Governor's request) it breaks my heart to see that level of selfishness.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

Masks are required for exercise, walking, not in public spaces? Just walking in nature? A stroll for exercise masks are required?

Yes, of course in crowds or in public with essential shopping and lots of people in small spaces.

Respected Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

OP here.  Read about the discussion on Beat of Hawaii.  State Senator Donna Kim was the one who doesn't favor U.S. citizens as they do not want to follow the rules.

I see this daily here.  When DH and I walk our dog and see others without masks (despite Governor's request) it breaks my heart to see that level of selfishness.

Seannie

wearing a mask outside when getting exercise is not required in Virginia even though we have a pretty strict facemask rule. 

Unless where you are walking/running is really crowded, why are you even wearing a face mask?  Are you not able to social distance?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

The rules they are referring to that are not being followed is the mandatory 14 day self quarantine in hotel, condo, or family home the tourist is visiting. 

I understand no one wants to sit inside their hotel room for 2 weeks when coming to our islands for a Hawaii vacation.  Common sense would mean they would not come now.  But they do.  And they lie about agreeing to self quarantine and go out and about the community and potentially spread the virus.  Some have been caught and arrested and either jailed and fined or sent back home.  So far the only offenders to have been caught are from the mainland U.S. like California and Colorado for example.

It would be much safer, therefore, to open first to Japan and other countries with a much lower Covid case count than the over 1.8 million in our own country.

Valued Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

The latest discussion among the powers that be suggests Hawaii will  first reopen for visitors from Japan, New Zealand and Australia.  Senators do not want U.S. citizens as they do not want to follow rules.

Seannie

Thank you for sharing this.  We had to cancel our April trip to visit my husband's family and have no idea when we will be able to visit.  It's encouraging to see some discussion of dates.