Frequent Contributor

Hop On/ Hop Off buses in NYC

[ Edited ]

Would really appreciate any info on how these tour buses work.  

Going to NYC with daughter mid-July.

Thank you in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: On again/Off again buses in NYC

Are you asking about the hop on/hop off buses?  I believe there are several different routes in NYC.  You can stay on for the entire loop or get off wherever the stops are and then catch a later bus.  We've taken them in a number of citites and they are a good way to get an overview of what to see.  

Frequent Contributor

Yes - sorry - I goofed with what they're called.  I'll try to re-post.

Thanks for your reply....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hop On/ Hop Off buses in NYC

[ Edited ]

@bkgirl  There are also great tours (via bus) all around NYC, but you need prior reservations. Contact your hotel for additional information. Taxis, Uber and carriage (through Central Park) are also great ways to see various parts of the City. Take good walking shoes . . . you'll be doing a lot of walking through museums, galleries, parks and the historical points of interest. Have fun and enjoy the sights, sounds and people! Never enough time to spend in NYC. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Yes, it is as @kaydee50 explained. I believe certain buses have different routes but it is a great way to see the city. We do this wherever we go in the US or Europe. You can get off at any stop if you want and catch one at any stop to return. 

Respected Contributor

Would you say that Uber is preferred over cabs in the city? How about Uber from Airports vs cabs?

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Would you say that Uber is preferred over cabs in the city? How about Uber from Airports vs cabs?

I use car service in NYC, both as airport transportation and around the city. It's a flat fee and you can arrange either in advance or on demand. There are a number of them available, but I use Eastern Car Service. They've always been fantastic. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

Been to NYC a few times as a family.   On our first visit we did the Hop on/off bus tour to get a familiar with the city and nbrhoods.  We rode both loops without getting off at any stops.  Also did a night tour over the Bridge.  I believe the tours could be purchased in Times Sq near the visitor center

To answer your taxi question....in NYC i would use a regular yellow cab.  They are plentiful and well regulated.  

Valued Contributor

@bkgirl  

We used a Hop-On Hop-Off City Tour when in New Orleans a few months ago. 

Our guide was entertaining and informative. We stayed on the whole 2hour loop with her! 

We signed up online/smart phone and met the bus across the street from the hotel. 

A young  tour  lady was in the bus  area to  *read*  the smart phone and give us tickets. 

*City Sightseeing*  for different cities  and they have a website you can research.  

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

check out the website freetoursbyfoot.com if you like to do a lot of walking.

we have used them in a few cities and have had wonderful tours and experiences.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein