Esteemed Contributor

I needed to book a flight for two to go to Florida in February... out of BWI Baltimore. It is a family event and we were excited to go. Shocked beyond words about the cost of the airline tickets, the shuttle service, the hotel.  I tried two separate airline.  One is high but does not charge for bags, selecting a seat, etc.(Frontier)  The other one allows for checked bags, etc but the cost is just as high.  (Southwest)  

I cannot walk. I cannot drive it.  Excited to go I could buy THE PRICES!!!

Respected Contributor

Be careful with Frontier. They have a new policy if you have a problem there wil be only automated, no live person to talk to about a problem. Do not know if it started yet.

Super Contributor

Southwest does not charge for 2 checked bags, or carry on.  Frontier ( the nightmare of an airline ) does charge for bags, checked and carry on.  Are you confused beween the 2 airlines?  If you are even thinking about Frontier, check the age of the plane you will be traveling on. Their A19's are so old, they shouldn't even be flying. Also, Frontier has a really bad history of delays, and totally cancelling flight.

Honored Contributor

I had a very bad experience with Frontier several years ago and I can't imagine them being any better today.

On my way down to Florida our flight was delayed by several hours.  We were told it was "mechanical" issues.  Doesn't make one feel reassured.  I was supposed to arrive early in the evening but got there around midnight.

Going home was worse!  The flight was again delayed by several hours then finally cancelled!  I scrambled to get onto another flight and airline (If I waited for Frontier I would have to wait another few days) I spent the day at the airport from 8am to 8 pm to finally arrive home around midnight!

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu   I would go to Kayak and get a "price alert" set up for your airline tickets.  My son's girlfriend travels all the time and suggested it for a trip to Europe I'm taking.  

Each day, I got an email with that day's prices for tickets for several airlines.  I watched it each day, and bought when they dropped.  About a week later, they started to rise again, so instead of searching each day, let the site do it for you.  No fees, and once we liked the price, we went directly to the airline to book the tickets.  We didn't do the price freeze option, just watched the ticket prices.  

FYI, we booked a round trip to London for $835 a couple of month ago and now the price for the same ticket is around $1500.

From their site:

If you’re looking to find the absolute best price possible when booking your next trip, then KAYAK Price Alerts is the tool for you. Instead of manually checking back in on the price of your next flight or stay, let KAYAK do the hard work for you. Once you’ve saved your search, our data will determine how the price will rise or fluctuate over the coming days. You’ll then get a push notification letting you know when’s the perfect time to book. But wait, there’s more! Seen a price you fancy but aren’t quite ready to book yet? Don’t worry - KAYAK’s Price Freeze will let you freeze a price for a small fee, so you can take a few days to think before and still pay that price, even if the price has increased.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu    I heard last night, Southwest was supposed to have bargain pricing from some date in January through a certain date in March so I'm surprised.

Are you interested in another collie?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Be careful with Frontier. They have a new policy if you have a problem there wil be only automated, no live person to talk to about a problem. Do not know if it started yet.

They have ended customer service line support to help book flights or fix travel issues. Customers will interact with chatbot..They will have live chat 24/7.

Respected Contributor

Well, I am happy for you that you will have the opportunity to travel! Prices have gone sky-high because there is a lot of pent-up travel demand, but you can still shop around for some bargains.  I also recommend comparing prices if you travel one or two days earlier or later--sometimes the day of the week makes a difference.

Whenever my schedule was flexible and I wanted a cheap getaway I would use Frontier, because the prices were too low to be believed, but that means service is not the same. 

Sometimes they have only one flight a day. I do not think you can transfer cancellatiions or delays to any other airline, so you have to wait one or two days to get another Frontier flight!

These days many airlines charge for seats and luggage. so you just have to add that cost.

Whenever I go on more important travel, I try to take the major airlines. I also prefer direct, non-stop, even if they cost a bit more.  AA also sells travel insurance with every flight.

There are many airports in Florida, and some are not too far from each other, so you can shop around.  I do not know if it would be cheaper for you to drive up to Philly to catch a flight, either.  

Have a great trip!

Honored Contributor

@bonnieluEffects of inflation and the status of fuel....probably going higher. If you want to travel, bite the bullet and enjoy. I go about my business acknowledging the reality and to the degree I can, not changing my plans/lifestyle. I hope you are able to book that flight to Florida and have an amazing family event!✈️⛱

Respected Contributor

@Janey2wrote:

I saw that on the news yesterday. Frontier will not have customer service agents to talk to anymore. You can type in a chat box with them but don't expect a rapid response. Also, if you go to the desk to ask for help they will charge you $25.

I would avoid them.