Honored Contributor

Re: Here’s Why You Should Always Take a Photo of Your Stove Before You Go on Vacation

One year we went on vacation - we left the bathroom window open. We realized it but we were hours away from home. So we decided Oh Well - it is the bathroom plenty of tile, in case it rains.

So when we got home 10 days later. It rained a bit and the curtain got wet but other wise it was OK. After that experience, I really didn't stress as much leaving the house for vacation. Things seem to work out OK.

Honored Contributor

Re: Here’s Why You Should Always Take a Photo of Your Stove Before You Go on Vacation

@2blondeAt one time in my life, I would have thought not.  Now, some kinds of memory devices have become esssential.  I work from lists, I use more post-its than I used to, and I talk to myself more -  all to help keep me getting to the finish line.

I rarely think about using my phone as a memory device, but I suspect I should!

Valued Contributor

For a while I was unable to leave the house without going back to check that I had unplugged the flat iron after doing my hair.   A couple times, I actually brought the flat iron with me in the car, so I could be absolutely sure that it was off! When the OCD really flared up!

I only got over it when I got my hair cut short so didn't need to use it anymore. I wish I had thought of taking a picture of it! 

Honored Contributor

What I do is tape a checklist on the door to remind me to check everything so I won't forget.

Honored Contributor

I think while on the surface that sounds like a good idea, it could feed into more anxiety, 

Just do one last round of your house and mentally say to yourself that you 

turned off or unplugged everything.  

Honored Contributor

DH uses a checklist for the things he takes. I don't need one. I always pack the day before we leave. I have never forgot anything.

We can turn lights on/off while gone & adjust heat/air & see what's going on around the house.

I unplug everything that's easy to get to, turn off all lights, make sure all doors/windows are locked, stove & coffeemaker are off. We also shut off the whole house water shut off. Don't want to come home to a flood. Have a neighbor pickup mail.

Esteemed Contributor

I admit that I have a little anxiety when I am leaving on vacation and have been guilty of taking a picture of the stove, back doors, and garage door before leaving.  Peace of mind.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have to use wheelchair service in airports and have someone get my luggage off the carousel.  I take a picture of my luggage so he can easily identify it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35  

I can  SO  relate!   This is a good idea if it is helpful.  

I even keep a  TAKE/ DO list on the kitchen counter for those pop in brain items to write down.   I have done a check out the house list.  One time I had to come back 10miles because I was not  positive the darn stove was off. ??    One time I was not sure I had turned the house alarm on and had to come back to check.   So much of what we do is on an auto pilot mental  mode and done without much thought or memory and the brain is usually in race mode trying to think of  everything.   

Now, I do STOP and LOOK at the stove and oven as one last thing before leaving the house, cut off the Keurig and lock the door and check that darn house alarm!  

It is not so much an AGE thing either.  In my 20s I had an old fashion Mr.Coffee that did not cut itself off and I worried at work if I had cut the coffee pot off or would it catch fire? I had to go right back home and found a STILL ON  very hot Mr. Coffee Machine and Pot.  

Even now, I turn off the stove FIRST! and only then deal with the food . I hit the power off of my Keurig coffee maker when I leave the house.  (so many little details!)

Those of y'all who are so perfect can just move right along, some of us are not perfect.  <smile>   Do whatever works for YOU! 

Keep Calm and Travel On,   CAT

Honored Contributor

I've always operated from lists for as long as I can remember.  Only way to multi-task. Things don't fall through the cracks that way.  Keeps the wheels on the carts.  You leave no kids home alone.  You get the drift.  Woman WinkWoman LOL