Honored Contributor

In the most current issue of The Saturday Evening Post (November/December 2017), page 31, there is a short article on Heavenly Hotels. I wasn't aware that you could stay in places like this. Have any of you tried these kind of places instead of a regular hotel or B&B?

Here is the short article as printed in the magazine.

Praying for reasonably priced lodging this holiday season? Then consider overnighting in a convent or monastery. Lodgers needn't be religious, just respectful. Many, including NYC's Seafarers International House (from $92, sihnyc.org), provide basic but clean quarters, often with shared baths.

But savvier sanctuaries, like Chicago's Monastery of the Holy Cross (chicagomonk.org) are furnishing cozier guest rooms with internet, cable TV, and private baths, with breakfast included ($180/night).

Want to get away from it all? Check out the private ocean-facing dwellings at New Camadoli hermitage in Big Sur, California (from $160, meals included, contemplation.com).

To find others like this, simply search "monastery and convent lodging" in the area you're visiting. Before you book, carefully review the facility's policies; some places impose curfews and quiet hours, and accept cash only.

Trusted Contributor

That is definitely interesting!!  I've never heard of Heavenly Hotels before, but what a unique way to spend the night.  Thanks for the information.

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler,

Thank you for your very informative post. I usually rely on my friends and the prestige of some hotel chains like Le Méridien, Oriental, and so on.🌻

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heavenly Hotels

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@LIG1 Love your avatar! Heart