Super Contributor

Heading to Ohio Amish Country!

Going to Holmes County and staying at the Berlin Grande in Berlin, Ohio.  It will be my first time visiting that area. Any recommendations for shopping or restaurants would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!❤️

Respected Contributor

Re: Heading to Ohio Amish Country!

@Loveac wrote:

Going to Holmes County and staying at the Berlin Grande in Berlin, Ohio.  It will be my first time visiting that area. Any recommendations for shopping or restaurants would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!❤️

Have fun! Get a jar of pumpkin butter, it's really good. Haven't been there for a few years so don't know many places there now. My neighbor and Kids get their furniture up there.Let us know how you did.

Frequent Contributor

People who do rescues at the Amish puppy mills in Ohio and Pennsylvania have a different opinion.

Respected Contributor

@whitedogs wrote:

People who do rescues at the Amish puppy mills in Ohio and Pennsylvania have a different opinion.

I'm confused as to what post you are referring.....the only opinion that was mentioned in the two previous posts is that the pumpkin butter is really good.  Are you saying that people who do rescues don't think the pumpkin butter is good?

Respected Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

@Loveac   When are you going?  I haven't been there for ages, but am going on October 26th.  If you are going after that, I will gladly tell you where we went.

Super Contributor

Travone, we are leaving this weekend, so I'll be heading home as you're arriving. I will post on this thread any places or restaurants that I liked. Safe travels to u!

Trusted Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

I was just there in July !    It was my third time visiting Amish Country with my brother and his wife.   We stayed at the New Berlin Encore Hotel and Suites.  We absolutely love visiting this area.  So much to see and do.   

My first recommendation is to go to the Amish Country Theater.  We saw the John Denver show and it was great.  Other recommendations:   Berlin Main Street Merchants...Walnut Creek Cheese...Holmes County Flea Market....Holmes County Historical Society/Victorian House Museum.....Hershberger’s Farm and Bakery...

****My very best recommendation is going to www.oacountry.com.   The site has a wealth of info on where to stay, restaurants, and things to do.  Also, request an area map and directory entitled Backroads and Byways.  It will make getting around so much easier.   

Have a great trip!

Respected Contributor

@LoveacThanks, safe travels to you also.  I'm not far away so ours is just going to be a day trip.  Enjoy!!!!!

Contributor

We live in Ohio and go twice a year. In the fall and spring.  Always fun.  Most people go for the food, bulk items, produce.   We always stop at Miller's Bakery (Millersburg) Local, but cash only,  Hillside Orchards, Heini's Cheese, Der Dutchman and Walnut Creek Cheese in Walnut creek.  Also Farmstead Restaurant is good, Yoders, Ashery (bulk foods) and Guisenburg Cheese. Keep an eye out on side roads for local Amish selling apples, baked goods too. Have a good time. Get a book in Berlin and all these should be listed.  No parking on main road in Berlin anymore.  You have to park behind. Kind of a pain.  

Respected Contributor

It’s been several years since we have been there but two things that have stuck in my mind and we really enjoyed was visiting Yoders Family Home in Millersburg and visiting Warthers Museum and Gardens in Dover.   Neither is free but they are not pricey either.  (They both have websites and you can check out the information online). Of course I enjoyed stopping at the various shops in the area too.  Have a great time!