Respected Contributor

Any suggestions?  TIA

Honored Contributor

Aside from the obvious Biltmore, I recommend enjoying the culture Asheville has in the downtown area, lots of artists and museums. If time permits, take a day trip to Gatlinburg, about 90 minute drive at most, you can also see Pidgeon Forge while there.

Esteemed Contributor
I enjoyed Asheville, but only stayed a couple nights (not long enough!) I know there are a lot of great restaurants; I recall having a good meal at Curate (Spanish tapas.) We got on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a bit too - we had to meet up with family near Knoxville so we didn't have much time to see that much. It took longer than my phone said it would to get between the two locations! 😂
Contributor

Also, if time allows go to Hendersonville (about 20 minutes south of Asheville). It's quaint with lots of interesting shops.  Go to "A Day in the Country" store -- it's a charming store that sells a variety of "county-ish" things and collectibles (I love their Christmas tree ornaments -- very unique) and they also have a lovely cafe (indoor and enclosed screened porch) for lunch (a little expensive but worth it).  There is also a very nice winery in Hendersonville called "Burnt Shirt" if you like wine.  You can tour the vineyard and/or sample the wines.  BTW, you can also have a glass of their wine at A Day in the Country (the winery and store are owned by the same people).  If you are into wines, don't forget to go to the Biltmore Estate winery -- they also have some very good wine choices.  Enjoy your trip to NC -- I always do; in fact, my DH and I are heading that way in Sept.  Actually we're scouting out buying a home in Upstate SC but we're also stopping off in the Hendersonville area for a few days -- can't wait!

Super Contributor

https://www.exploreasheville.com

This link will show you everything you need to know.  Beautiful pictures and lots of information on  the history, places to eat, stay, visit, etc.  My cousin lived in Asheville for quite a few years before he had to relocate for his job.  My MIL lived 40 miles east of Asheville and we visited her there several times before she moved to Florida.

Also, if you remember the movie "The Last of the Mohicans" with Daniel Day Lewis, all or parts of it was filmed in Chimney Rock Park in Asheville.    

Super Contributor

A little past Asheville you'll hit Maggie Valley, NC, my favorite little mountain town. Several years ago the wild moose made a return to that area, and MV has a few good viewing areas to see them (best times early a.m. and dusk). The locals will gladly give you directions to the best viewing area, off the beaten path, but take it from me it is better to go the long way (unless you are ok with tiny mountain road not quite wide enough for one car, much less two lol).

It's a beautiful area though. We're supposed to be driving up some time in October, can't wait!

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Regular Contributor

Besides the Biltmore House, the gardens, and winery I would highly recommend visiting the Grove Park Inn. It's a century old hotel, has an absolutely fascinating history, and the views from the hotel are stunning. (Actually, it's now called the Omni Grove Park Inn and you can check it out online.)

It would be a wonderful place to have lunch or enjoy a beverage on the back balcony while taking in the spectacular views. They do offer tours for both guests and non-guests. The gift shops are nice and you might enjoy the amazing lobby with the enormous fireplaces and rocking chairs.

Valued Contributor

If you like quaint small towns get on I-26 go towards Johnson City. There are several small towns along the way. As for Asheville I don't know a whole lot.

i am not sure of exact dates for the Jonesboro TN storytelling festival but the town  is enjoyable to explore. Elizabethton TN also.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heading to Ashville NC

[ Edited ]

Catchersmom~ I hope you have some beautiful🍁🍂 weather for your trip!

Super Contributor

@LIG1 It is certainly a small world Smiley Happy. Yes on the fudge, and yes on that is the place lol.....can't believe I forgot to mention that! It is our first stop every time, and then again our last stop before heading home for "take home" treats. I've never tried the pumpkin walnut (quite possibly it has been sold out when we've been there). I always get the peanut butter and chocolate, and the last time they had a seasalt/caramel one that I bought for my Mom.....and then I ended up tasting it on the way home and then....well my Mom got some nice jellies instead Smiley Embarassed

Thank you for the dates too on the festival. As of right now we are going up 14-16th, but it's subject to change. Can't wait!

Never mistake kindness for weakness