Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

No matter where you go, always be aware of your surroundings and belongings.  We just returned from Paris.  We almost were pickpocket victims on the metro had it not been for undercover police.  They managed to unzip my  bag which was crossbody in front of me but did not take anything.  I think they feel for a wallet . I put valuables in a zipper compartment-no wallet.  We were lucky.  Also in Paris...beware of fake cab driviers,  In the train station, husslers are working the crowd and will wisk you off for a cab.  Don't fall for it.  We did (4 of us) but when we were dropped at our hotel the tab was 120 Euros!  Should have been around 20.  So we treatened to involve police and the driver just drove off!  Free cab!  Legit cabs have lights on top of their cars.

Have a great time!

@bargainsgirl  Thanks for the heads up.  When we were in Rome a few years ago we were very careful, as I heard a lot of pick pocketing stories.  I have undergarment cross body bags and new types of fanny packs.  I'm always very aware of my surroundings, ESPECIALLY when I'm somewhere unfamiliar.  New one on me about the fake cabs. SHAMEFUL.   We will have more time in London on our own, and be with the Tauck group more in France ...   although we will have alone time.  THANKS ALL. Sept will be here before we know it !!!

Respected Contributor

We found Churchill's war rooms fascinating. We also went on the London Eye. We had an excellent dinner at The Tipperary near or on Fleet Street. It survived the Great London Fire. I would love to go back and take some day trips out of London.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, while in Paris, we met a family that told us the war rooms were a must-see. If I look back on our London experience, the war rooms are most distinct in my memory. As a mystery fan, I saw Agatha Christie’s Mousetrap when choosing a play. My husband and I dined in a wonderful French restaurant and enjoyed the play immensely. I’ve been to the UK only three times, London only once, but I think you should start with the old standbys, those places that everyone finds memorable, e.g., changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, etc. Don’t worry if you miss anything. Just have a good time.

Esteemed Contributor
I love Tauck! We have done seven. Loved Australia/NZ, Africa & Essence of Japan best but all are excellent and worry free. Tauck has access to places other tour companies do not have & they really pay attention to customer surveys.
Honored Contributor

@nyc1 

I just saw this pop back up and wanted to add, the last time I visited the Louvre, they asked everyonel to vacate, and closed down because the pickpockets were so profuse.  They did not re-open that day or the next.

You can't be too careful.

Happy Trails!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I like the Treasures Room at the British Library and it is free. You will see so many beautiful and historical books and documents including the Magna Carta, 1200 year old books, Beatles’ lyrics, and so much more. There is a fee for their actual tours and special exhibits. They also have a nice gift shop and cafes. If you are there, you are very close to the Welcome Collection which I believe is also free. 

I will also be in London this September to visit my daughter. I will have my 90 year old mother with me, so we may just take the hop on hop off one day as we can see a lot without her needing to walk much. 

Respected Contributor

Hi all.   We just got back from our trip last week.  The weather could not have been more perfect.  In the short time we were in London, we walked everywhere.....  23,000 and 24,000 steps a day!!!!!   The War Room was incredible.  We got there around 10:30, went right in but when we got out (around 2-1/2 hours later) it was packed and there were lines of people waiting to get in.  We went right in at the Tower as well.  We found an amazing tapas restaurant in the Convent Gardens area where we were staying and great dim sum in Soho/Chinatown.  We saw the Rosetta Stone at the British Museaum, etc.  The production of The Lion King was fabulous.

There was so much we did in France ...  Monet's gardens are a MUST.  They are truly breathtaking.  Went to the Lourve after hours and had an upfront view of Mona!  That is quite the museum, and so much nicer without all the crowds.  Normandy tugs at your heart.  LOVED LOVED LOVED the riverboat.  Our good weather was helpful.

Respected Contributor

Went to  both last May.  Liked London more.  People were way more friendly and willing to help.  Be very careful in Paris especially taking the subway (wer were pickpocketed) and be sure you get a real cab if taking one.  The Louve is extremely crowded and IMO hardly worth the hassle, even with a front of the line pass.  Crazy.  The outside grounds are beautiful.  Take a river cruise for sure in both cities.  So much to see.  We were lucky to see Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall which was a highlight of our trip.  Enjoy and be safe.

Trusted Contributor

Have a great time!!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Went to  both last May.  Liked London more.  People were way more friendly and willing to help.  Be very careful in Paris especially taking the subway (wer were pickpocketed) and be sure you get a real cab if taking one.  The Louve is extremely crowded and IMO hardly worth the hassle, even with a front of the line pass.  Crazy.  The outside grounds are beautiful.  Take a river cruise for sure in both cities.  So much to see.  We were lucky to see Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall which was a highlight of our trip.  Enjoy and be safe.

Thanks so much.   We have returned from our trip and I wrote a brief write up yesterday., 10/2.