Respected Contributor

@OKPrincess If I recall from the last time I was in Honolulu, the International Market is gone and a building or hotel was going up in it's place.   Sad, since it was a great place to shop.

@bonnielu  If you are near Oahu's North Shore, there is a restaurant that is quite good.  You can see the menu (with prices) on their website.  Haleiwa Beach House is not overly expensive, and the only restaurant that I could find for a rehearsal dinner prior to my sons wedding at Waimea Falls.  All the others were way too casual (sitting on picnic tables or similar).

If in Honolulu, there is a great breakfast place, Eggs 'n Things that is where the locals go.  I had the best banana pancakes there many years ago - their menu/prices is on their site too.

If you are active or retired military, there is a hotel that is very nice right on the beach in Waikiki.  Their dinner restaurant is very good (and very reasonable), but you have to show your military ID to eat there. It's the Hale Koa hotel.  I had some great swordfish there a few years ago and while in Hawaii, we went to their same dinner restaurant  several nights as it was very good and very reasonable.

You can always ask the locals about where the best places to eat are. 

Have a wonderful time in Hawaii. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

If Hilo is one of your ports, then go Ken's House of Pancakes.  They more than pancakes.  Open 24-hrs.  The food is delicious.  It's always ask the locals where they go.  Cheeseburger in Paradise is good too.

Esteemed Contributor

My intent is to go to the best restaurants I can find BUT I knowing how expensive everything is I thought I could bring along a few gift cards to cut the expenses and get my free gas doing it.  We have a grocery store that awards points for  buying cards.  

This trip is on my bucket list and I will be spending  my childrens inheritance doing it.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Hawaii restaurants

[ Edited ]

I have been to four Hawaiian Islands.  I did not see any chain resturants except for the usual fast food joints like McD.  Also, Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, Denny's and Roy's. Perhaps I missed some, but I wasn't really looking.  

Take a lot of money.  Hawaii is expensive.  There are lots of really nice casual  restaurants that serve fresh food that is delicious.  You can avoid the really expensive places if you wish. Menus are usually posted out front.

If you visit Maui, there are two resturants that I like.  One is Longhi's .  They are great for lunch or breakfast. The waiters will recite the long, long menu to you and the Lahaina Grill.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @bonnielu!  If you are headed to the Big Island, you can try Pueo’s Osteria in Waikoloa Village, Lava Lava Beach Club in the Waikoloa Beach Resorts, Cafe Pesto in Kawaihae and Hilo, Fish Hopper, La Bourgogne French Restaurant or Huggo’s in Kailua-Kona.  My husband and I lived on the BI for 5 years and came back to reality in August 2017.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I want to eat well and enjoy the best I can find. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu...which island will you be visiting & what kind of food do you like? I live on O’ahu and can offer some suggestions.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Another vote for Duke's on Oahu (also on Kauai).....have piece of their Hula Pie but share it.....on Maui...Mama's Fish House.....expensive but worth it.  Definitely need reservations.....could always go for hearty appetizers.

Have a wonderful trip! 

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu  

You might want to check out  * The Ramen Nakamura * for very good Japanese food.  

Oahu/ Honolulu area.   *Eggs and Things* is great for brunch.    

Check out  *MARUKAME UDON* , another Japanese locals place that is crazy busy but great!    The long line in moves fairly quickly. 

I went to Hawaii a few months ago with DH on a business conference trip.  WOW!

We used the Hop On Hop Off tour bus system which was a good way to get around.    

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Regular Contributor

Am most familiar with Maui and Big Island.  On Maui, we love 808 Grindz for breakfast or lunch.  Fleetwood's on Front Street for dinner (so romantic and beautiful view), though lunch or happy hour probably much less $.  Pacific 'O' at 505 Front Street is also fabulous view and food.  We enjoy Beach Bums Bar and Grill at Ma'alea Harbor for great barbeque and burgers, but it is definitely not fancy or expensive.

On Big Island we like Huggo's on the Beach and 808 Grindz.  Roy's restaurant in Waikoloa is yummy.  One week we ate there 4X (!).  Cafe Pesto was a favorite at Kawaihai harbor, but that location has closed.  Maybe the Hilo location is just as good.  Oh, and I must second the rec for Pueo's Osteria-wonderful!

Seannie