Esteemed Contributor

Going to Hawaii in May.  I often carry restaurant gift cards.  I have researched and find really great choices (I think) but I don't seem to find any that are national chains and therefore taking along the cards would be a waste of space.  Yes, I do see McDonalds. 

Anyone have experience in the area and if there are few chains is there a favorite restaurant you would suggest?

Honored Contributor

Re: Hawaii restaurants

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu. You might page  @SurferWife and ask her.  She lives there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

When I'm on vacation I like to go to the local or popular privately owned restaurants. Experience something different. You can eat at those chain restaurants when  you get back home. Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

They have Panda Express, McDonald’s and the normal places. Be aware. Food is ridiculously priced in Hawaii.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't been to Maui/Oahu for a number of years, but I'm sure there are some of the major chain restaurants available. Hubby and I avoided them - we found the best food, especially seafood, at local restaurants - not chain stateside restaurants. Fresh fruits and breads were available at the ABC grocers for our breakfasts.

Honored Contributor

Duke’s in Honolulu. The International Market is across the street. Awesome view of the ocean.

Trusted Contributor

I ate at Duke's in Malibu, Ca and it was so good!

@OKPrincess wrote:

Duke’s in Honolulu. The International Market is across the street. Awesome view of the ocean.

Valued Contributor

We ate at Roy's many years ago and loved it.  You can check out the reviews online.

Respected Contributor

When I travel I make it a rule not to go to national chains. I can do that at home. 

Go on yelp or Travel Advisor and look up the city where you are going and see who has a large amount of reviews and highest amount of stars in the price range and or cuisine you are looking for. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu:  You didn't mention which island or islands you are going to but, if it were me, I wouldn't go to any chain restaurant in Hawaii.  I Google " best inexpensive local restaurants" when I go to Maui (my favorite island) and each new place I find is a pleasant surprise.  Among my favorites are "Aloha Mixed Plate", "Star Noodle" and "Eskimo Candy".