Valued Contributor

Haven't been on here for months and months!

I hope everyone is peachy and looking forward to this year's traveling!  Last year we took another train vacay, on China's Orient Express!    Highlight of the trip, I rode a camel in the Gobi desert.    This year a smaller trip on Amtrak, aboard the City of New Orleans train.  First to Memphis to see Graceland and get some Memphis BBQ ribs, then to New Orleans.

It's been a long winter, I'm ready for warm weather.   Both hubby and I having some health problems, so staying here in USA.   Originally would be going to Artic Circle in Sweden and then south through Finland, but will stick in USA this year.   

Where are you going in 2019?   Give me ideas fro 2020!

Honored Contributor

Re: Haven't been on here for months and months!

We too have decided to stick closer to home.  There is nothing overseas that is on my bucket list.  We're booked on a Columbia River cruise, 9 day r/t from Portland next month and then a 2 week Alaska cruise r/t from Seattle in September for our 40th anniversary.

I'd love to do a trip to the Copper Canyon in Mexico next year and/or a 7 day cruise around the Hawaiian Islands. 

BTW, we've taken the City of NO and would do it again.

Valued Contributor

you can find cheap, cheap prices for cruises on vacationtogo .com  cruises can be 80% off.  I want to cruise to Alaska and then Denali train to Fairbanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve already had my big trip of the year in January. Patagonia (which I loved!) and Antarctica (which I know I still need to do a trip report!) So, later in the year I’m keeping it closer to home (and less expensive!) and doing a tour of the American Southwest (Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion.) If I can save some $$, may add a cruise in Dec.

I do have a trip to Mexico planned next year. Not sure what else I’m doing yet. I know what I WANT to do, but not sure it can be fit in during the times I can go.

And, already know I’m doing Hawaii in Jan 2021. It’s a big birthday for me!
Honored Contributor

@LoriMI  So glad to hear from you! I am most curious about your ride on the Orient Express. When you get a chance, please give more details (start and stop points, was it a luxurious train, etc.)

Those Memphis BBQ ribs sound great! I have ordered Corky's BBQ ribs thru QVC, but bet going into one of those restaurants was fantastic!

Valued Contributor

I really want to go to South America, maybe someday.   

Valued Contributor

The train is very fancy, however, the tour also included hotels to shower, etc.   This is due to how many aboard and limited showers.   We went from the train to a 5 star hotel for 1-2 nights.   It's easier to meet up with groups etc.   China is fab!   We went from Beijing west to the Gobi desert.  We saw the east side of the Great Wall to the far west end of the wall.   Xi'an was the Terracota warriors, We traveled the distance of the USA east to west.   Like the USA the terrain is different.   Rocky mountains, green mountains, rivers, deserts, etc.    

Honored Contributor

@LoriMI I enjoyed Xi'an, even though it was very humid inside the building that houses the "dig." I met one of the farmers who discovered the warriors. He was signing books in the store there. I wanted to take a photo of him doing that, even with his head down, and he quickly told I had to pay to do that. ha!

Valued Contributor

He was there signing books!   I loved the 
Terracotta warriors!

Honored Contributor

@LoriMI  Really? Did you try to get a picture of him? He must be pretty old by now. I thought it was so cool to see him. He was quite funny.