Respected Contributor

I wll be on a cruise in a few months that stops there.  I want to know what is a good attraction to see/do on the island.  I am not so sure about some of the excursions offered by the cruise.  And I do not wish to journey to the mainland, I want to stay on Cozumel for the day. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: Have you been to Cozumel?

[ Edited ]

Yes, especially if you love scuba & snokeling. That's the draw for Cozumel. Beautiful water and lots to see for divers, snorkelers. 

Honored Contributor

I think we went on a shopping tour of Cozumel, very high end stores

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Years ago.  Will never go there again.  My cousin & I were followed around inside the shopping stalls like we were going to steal something.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is where we went to get diving certs.,,,,,amazing experience.  We didn't spend a lot of time in town....so I'm not much help.  Have a wonderful trip!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many people on Cruise Critic swear by Mr Sanchos Beach Club or Nachi-Cocom. Need to reserve in advance and take a cab. I’m not sure which is which, but I believe one is better if you don’t have kids.

I’m not really a beach person, so I went on a cruise excursion to the nearby ruins (not Tulum, but actually on the island) that also stopped at a chocolate factory and a brief beach photo op.

(looked it up - San Gervasio was the name of the ruins.)

Honored Contributor

It was some time ago and my kids were teens...we toured some Mayan ruins and then did some shopping & lunch.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

We toured the Myan Ruins but not the ship sponsered.  There is a website called Tours by Locals.  It was rated very good on cruise critic.  There was about 10 people in a large SUV and the tour guide was a son of one of an archologist that worked years ago.  So he spent a lot of his time at the ruins with his father,  It was an very informative and the group was small enough to pick what we wanted or not wanted to do.

We used the Tours by Locals for several of our curises and it was alway a lot nicer thean the crusie line sponsered excursions,  I know becasue when I frist went cruising I would not book an excursion any other way.  Now I never go through the cruise line.

Shopping is also very good.  Most of the time we wait until we hit Cozumel before we bought anything.  Just be careful and know what you are buying.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

We also went there as a stop on a cruise several years ago.  We enjoyed the snorkeling excursion.   Not impressed by city itself but am sure it has changed a lot.  

Respected Contributor

We did an excursion and swam with stingrays.  What an amazing experience....beautiful time.