Honored Contributor

Returned last night from my trip with my daughter to NYC.  We had a fabulous time.  Stayed in an AirBnB in Brooklyn and took the subway into the city.  The AirBnB was in a typical, or what I think of as typical, Brooklyn neighborhood - brownstones, street lined with large trees and we had the garden apartment - funky and old but very charming.  The subway station was a couple blocks away and within easy walking distance were shops, cafes, restaurants and Starbucks!  LOL  A wonderful old church was up at the corner.  The subway map totally intimidated me so my daughter took over that part of the trip.  She did really well and we only got lost a couple times.  On our last day there we did get to see a NY subway rat - felt our trip was complete.  Smiley Surprised)  Also had my first NYC cab ride - man what a ride it was - kept my eyes on the screen in front of me and answered the Jeopardy questions.  Was too afraid to look where the driver was going.  First day we went to the 9-11 Memorial, then took the Staten Island Ferry and saw the Statue of Liberty that way, it was a very warm, muggy day so being on the ferry was nice.  Then we went to The Dead Rabbit and had drinks and headed home.  The second day we went to the American Natural History museum, Rockefeller Plaza and had a drink at the bar, went to Times Square, visited St. Patrick's Cathedral, and walked all around.  Day three was spent in Brooklyn, had brunch with a friend that I used to work with but hadn't seen in years so that was special, walked along the Promenade in Brooklyn and the view of the City and the Brooklyn Bridge was fantastic, then my daughter and I went shopping and had an easy day.  Day 4 we headed to Central Park and it was a spectacular day for it.  We picked up sandwiches and macaroni salad at a deli and took our picnic into the park.  We passed Strawberry Fields and headed to Cherry Hill and sat there and ate lunch while we watched the people on the lake row their boats and others walk across Bow Bridge.  Then we walked through the Ramble and came out somewhere and found an ice cream vendor so bought an ice cream.  Then we headed to Belvedere Castle, Shakespeare Garden and walked our way out of the park and home again.  We left the next day.  It was a wonderful and very special 4 days mom/daughter trip to NYC.

Used my LUG Can-Can purse and it worked really well.  Had bought a different one to take on the trip but ended up not using it as it just wasn't big enough.  But the Can-Can worked great and will probably use that when I go to England in August.

Flights on United were absolutely fine, no problems and everything went well.  As always, its good to be home and back to reality and work tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Re: Have returned from NYC Trip

Sounds like you had a great trip, and you really covered some ground !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

LOVE your post! Made me feel that I had been there! So glad you and DD had such a wonderful time and thanks for the wonderful description of your adventure Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

You really did hit all the high spots!

Glad you had a great time, I love NYC

@JudyL

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a great time.  Growing up in CT, I've been to NYC many times.  I have lots of great memories.  I like the circle line ferry.  When I'd take someone to NYC for a day, I felt it covered more ground than we could cover by foot.  

Honored Contributor

@JudyL Double WOW!! Like usual, you pack a lot into your trips and I felt like I was right with you. Thanks so much for the details of each day. Really enjoyed reading your post. Been a while since I have visited New York, but if I go I need to print out your post and use it as my itinerary! Smiley Happy

And I am VERY happy you are pleased with the Lug Can-Can. I was holding my breath on that one, because I remember you not being sure if it would work for you. I plan to take my Can-Can to Europe next month and have been trying it out on a couple of hikes up in the mountains. Works very well for what I need to put in it. 

So glad you mentioned England in August. I have been wondering if you were going to back out, as you sort of indicated that sometime back. I leave for the same trip on June 20, so will be sure to report back as much as I am able to do, in order to give you any tips I might find along the way.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL, I was in NYC for the first time a couple of days after x-mas and we came home new years eve.  We stayed in a hotel in Time Square.  To say it was crowded would be an understatement.

I would love to go back in the summer when the weather is nicer.  I want to take the ferry and I'd love to go see Brooklyn and Harlem.

We did go to the 9/11 memorial and it was much more emotional than I thought it would be.  Unfortunately, the day we went, the weather was dreadful but we did walk around down there and go into that mall.  I wanted to go to Wall Street but we didn't get there. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

Ok, now I'm confused.  Maybe it wasn't the Can-Can I used.  Think maybe the bag I used is called something else cuz I don't remember you saying you bought that bag.  Yes, I am giong to England; I leave August 26.

@Lipstickdiva - forgot to mention that we walked through Wall Street.  We saw the Bull statue and the girl facing it but it was so crowded that we could barely see anything so didn't take any pictures but at least got a glimpse of it.

NYC is an interesting place but don't think I'll go back.  Just not my cup of tea.  My daughter loved it tho and said she is definitely going to return.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

Just looked up the Can Can and that definitely is not the bag I took.  I knew as I started to put stuff in it, that it wouldn't work for me.  Will have to figure out which LUG I did use. 

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

It was driving me nuts trying to remember which LUG bag I took with me!  Looked it up and it was the cross-body Carousel bag.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the Can-Can.  Should have sent it back but too late now.  Oh well, maybe someday I'll use it.