Honored Contributor

Re: Have any of the Buying Alaska, Rockies or Lakefront Houses shows inspired you

@BirkiLady, that is so true about Green Lake. I remember years ago spending time there attending things like the art fair, taking boat trips, and dining at the Heidel House. It sure has changed, and not for the better.

Your condo in CO sounds ideal. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have any of the Buying Alaska, Rockies or Lakefront Houses shows inspired you

@RetRN  What a pleasant surprise to find someone on here who has enjoyed my favorite lake! Wonder if our paths ever crossed? Our summer home was on the west end of the lake. We held out as long as possible, but the taxes became increasingly outrageous for a summer retreat. 

My husband's grandparents had originally owned the property; then his parents. We bought it when his parents retired and moved to (gulp) Arkansas. So, I had been going to that summer home before I actually married into their family!

My fiance (later husband) was in the military; his parents invitied a friend and me to drive up for a week one summer. We drive my new yellow VW convertible. Didn't know how much I loved that car for city driving; but it was awful for that long trip. Tired buns! That began my love affair with Green Lake! Had never skiied on such glass-like water. It was perfect; my FIL loved to drive the boat. He didn't believe I could ski was well as his boys. HA! Showed him quickly that I could hold my own with his two other sons.

We all bought Muk Luk slippers, which were so toasty warm and furry. Those slippers lasted for years! Then my MIL decided she wanted her first mink stole. (She knew my mom had one.) So, we drove to Berlin and Oshkosh. Tried on all the furs and had a ball. My husband often said I was a bad influence on his mother and he hoped all the guard hairs fell out of that mink! She wore it until her death (even in Arkansas). LOL

We toured the college at Rippon. Lovely campus. On the way home, my girlfriend and I drove through the campus at Madison. I was sure that's where I wanted to go to school! Then realized out-of-state tuition were be prohibitive since my sister would be in school right behind me. And, my fiance would be home in a couple of years. He  planned to return to Uni. of NE after we married. Our summers would still be in Green Lake! And they were until the early 1980's. Great memories. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady, I loved reading your post, so many memories. I remember those Muk Luk's so well, also got gloves at Eskimo Comfort store in Berlin.

We would go to Oshkosh and eat at the Roxy supper club, also remember  the flea market/farmers markets on Saturdays in Princeton. Those were some wonderful days. 

Honored Contributor

I also live in a lakefront log cabin in Upper Michigan and have a very modest cottage on Lake Superior.   Nothing spectacular, but we like them.  I love all the Alaska and log home shows, tape them regularly.  We ended up here because DH used to work construction all over the midwest.  I would visit him and stay in motels and we decided to retire here.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass  Sounds lovely! How fortunate you are. Have friends on Madelyn Island and have visited, but could never afford their summer homes. Oh, my.  

We moved to Shaker Heights, Ohio in the mid-70's and I fell in love with the Great Lakes. Sort of expected that to be a long-term move, but we returned to Nebraska to be closer to family, friends, my physicians and excellent schools. In the long run, it was the best decision for all of us.

Cannot imagine being too far away from my mom after she became a widow and, later, as a dementia patient. Have never regretted returning to Lincoln. We were also much closer to my in-laws, who had retired to Arkansas, during their years of needing help as well.     

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Contributor

I always wonder when reading posts such as this why, in the midst of a very enjoyable sharing of memories of wonderful places and events. it is so often necessary to take a shot at somewhere else...in this case, Arkansas.  While I know no one there, never go there and live hundreds of miles from there, what's the point  in trashing a place that is, I am sure, as precious to the folks who call it home as is your home to you?