Respected Contributor

Has your destination been crowded? over priced?

Reading a story about a family that traveled from SC to Arches national park. They arrived at 7:30 am to be greated by sign saying park is full check back in 4-5 hours. No guarantee that they would get in then. Reports are that all the popular national parks are seeing massive numbers of visitors. Families are taking road trips.I guess just pent up demand all summer and beyond. 

We are taking a road trip along I40 then I25 to Denver and finding stop over hotels a least 2 times the usual prices. 

Just for fun I checked a Hampton Inn in NYC that we frequently stay and the rates are very resonable. Less to stay in NYC than Amarillo, Tx.

Economy is really out of wack. Mexican restaurant in Dallas said they normally pay $4.50 lb for skirt steak and now $12.00

Honored Contributor

Re: Has your destination been crowded? over priced?

It's been all over the local news to CHECK any place you want to visit just for this reason. I can't imagine just going somewhere and being surprised that it's full.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard on the news this morning that Maui’s mayor was asking airlines to cut back on flights or restrict the number of people per plane. Said travel appears back to normal numbers there, but they are still running with restrictions in place (restaurants at 50%, etc.) Because they are so remote and have fewer hospitals, they need to be more strict about reopening.

I just saw the story referenced in the OP about getting turned away at 7am because the parks were already at capacity!! Crazy times.
Honored Contributor

Hey @granddi    Wave when you blow through Albuquerque on I-40 as you merge onto I-25.  Stop and spend some money. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Reading a story about a family that traveled from SC to Arches national park. They arrived at 7:30 am to be greated by sign saying park is full check back in 4-5 hours. No guarantee that they would get in then. Reports are that all the popular national parks are seeing massive numbers of visitors. Families are taking road trips.I guess just pent up demand all summer and beyond. 

We are taking a road trip along I40 then I25 to Denver and finding stop over hotels a least 2 times the usual prices. 

Just for fun I checked a Hampton Inn in NYC that we frequently stay and the rates are very resonable. Less to stay in NYC than Amarillo, Tx.

Economy is really out of wack. Mexican restaurant in Dallas said they normally pay $4.50 lb for skirt steak and now $12.00

@granddi 

We are in the Denver area and haven't tried / needed to book a hotel but housing prices have skyrocketed with very low inventory, i.e. supply and demand.  Not sure if that can relate to the hospitality industry but the high prices are shocking, the market is behaving like the Bay Area.

Good news is for you as a traveler restaurants seem to have stable prices.  At least out here in the burbs in Littleton.  

Have a good trip and if I hear of any decent hotel prices I'll let you know.  Which part of I-25?

Valued Contributor

Arches is usually busy most times of the year, like Rocky Mountain is here in CO, but by August numbers drop because of the heat. It's a extremely popular park. I actually thought one had to make reservations still.

My son lives in Utah and hikes including back country hikes, and he doesn't go near there during summer, not due to the heat, but due to the crowds since he's lived there. It used to be busloads of tourists, but now cars and parking make it fill quickly.

I-25 has very heavy traffic from Pueblo through CO Springs through Denver up to Ft. Collins. It's under construction from Monument to Castle Rock and can get backed up quickly, especially if there is the daily accident.

Have a safe trip!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Arizona. No one in their right mind comes here for a vacation now. Wait till October thru April. They will be back and prices will rise.   Now is the time hotels are cheaper and the snowbirds are gone. 

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

It's been all over the local news to CHECK any place you want to visit just for this reason. I can't imagine just going somewhere and being surprised that it's full.

I think that reservations are accepted at national parks for campers only. General admission visitors are just taken as space or capacity is available. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Hey @granddi    Wave when you blow through Albuquerque on I-40 as you merge onto I-25.  Stop and spend some money. 

I will. Many decades in Amarillo area....sure miss the low humidity.

Respected Contributor

@Nomore wrote:

Arches is usually busy most times of the year, like Rocky Mountain is here in CO, but by August numbers drop because of the heat. It's a extremely popular park. I actually thought one had to make reservations still.

My son lives in Utah and hikes including back country hikes, and he doesn't go near there during summer, not due to the heat, but due to the crowds since he's lived there. It used to be busloads of tourists, but now cars and parking make it fill quickly.

I-25 has very heavy traffic from Pueblo through CO Springs through Denver up to Ft. Collins. It's under construction from Monument to Castle Rock and can get backed up quickly, especially if there is the daily accident.

Have a safe trip!

Thanks for the tip about construction. We are going just N of Denver near Boulder for a few days. Staying at the Omni for golf.

Friend reported that the Broadmoor is $750.00 per night for basic room IF you can get one. Wasn't interested but some destinations are crazy.