Respected Contributor

Has anyone who has travelled to India willing to share positives and negatives?

This is in my bucket list .i have heard that it is a wonderful trip from one friend...worst trip ever from another. Any opinions...?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone who has travelled to India willing to share positives and negatives?

[ Edited ]

Strongly suggest you read the US State Dept page about travel to India, especially the drop-down tabs on that page regarding health, security,  and transportation.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Informa...

Be sure you are properly vaccinated well before departure for India to provide sufficient immunity. While there, keep all valuables securely on your person, not in the hotel room or room safe. It’s a fascinating country with unusual food, gentle people (mostly) and ancient cultural attractions. There are some recognized risks as far as health and safety. Medical facilities,  even in the larger cities,  are often poorly equipped and badly understaffed due to the enormous population. Air quality and sanitation can be challenging. A “first class” hotel might be subject to interpretation. 

Only you can decide how much a trip to India really appeals to you, balancing the draw of cultural interests and remarkable sights against some of the discomforts, health risks, travel time and expense. I have had no one I know come back from India feeling it was worth it overall, but all really seemed quite drawn to the country and fulfilled their desire by touring it.  It wasn’t that they regretted going as much as they thought it wasn’t all that great, mostly dirty, crowded and uncomfortable.  

Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone who has travelled to India willing to share positives and negatives?

I went in September and loved it. I went to Agra, Delhi and Kerala. Each part was very different but I loved the entire experience. I don’t have any negatives. I think the diversity of the locations made it a rich experience. In Kerala, I did an overnight on a house boat, the Ayurvedic treatments, Periyar National Park and Wildlike Sanctuary and other things. In Agra, you focus on the Taj and Fort Agra. Delhi was crowded but the experiences were amazing. I travel quite a bit and I am pretty welcoming to most safe experiences. I may not be the best gauge but my friends who traveled with me felt the same.

Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

A trip to India is on my bucket list of places to go.  I have never been there, but many of my friends have and they loved it.

i would go there in a heartbeat.  Due to some safety aspects, I would go with a touring company.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been to India four times.  I am lucky to have friends who live there so I had wonderful experiences during each of my trips.  Of course I was more exposed to the way of life, home cooked meals, and out of the tourist traps although we saw those too.  Our friends recommended different spots to travel to and we went to them on our own with great memories.  India is such a spiritual experience one is luckily to be exposed to.  The culture can be a shock at first since it is such a different experience.  The smells, the colors, the architecture, the countryside, are breathtaking.  I have been to both the north and south of India and both areas are very different and Goa was also a nice excursion.  This is my type of vacation, one where I can experience someplace totally new and different.  There is just so much to see that we had to make return trips.  If you are the type of person who is open minded to a new culture this is the trip if a lifetime.  I would go again in a heartbeat.

Trusted Contributor

It is all personal taste.  I went with my best frien about 25 years ago.  Stayed with family friends.  Unfortunately drank the water and came home with severe GI issues that lasted several months.  (that happened to both of us)  Also felt like we were eaten alive by mosquitoes.  She loved the food...I hated the food.  She had a great time despite everything.  Me...had a horrible time.  She would love to go back some time.  Me, never again!!  See, all personal taste.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH has been there on business and has no desire to return.  Numerous stories about unpleasant situations and circumstance.  NO "I'd love to go back" stories.  Driving (he was a passenger) was downright frightening.  He had to keep his head down and listen to music in order to keep his attention diverted.  Two lane roads had three lanes of traffic.  There are NO rules of the road so everyone just constantly honks to change lanes, pass, etc.  Because they're driving three lanes across on a two lane highway, cars get so close that none of the cars have any side view mirrors anymore because they've all been broken off.  Traffic came to a complete hault when they came upon a cow in the middle of the road.  No honking then or shooing the cow away as they are considered holy.  Everyone just has to wait, no matter how long it takes for the cow to move, whether it's 5 minutes or 5 hours.  DH got sick just from eating off a plate that had been wash and rinsed with local water.  He never drank the water.  He saw a monkey go to the bathroom in a public outdoor market, then proceed to run around and on products.  He saw a man urinating in public too.  Garbage was piled up on road sides and kids were climbing on it.  If the car was stopped for any length of time, kids would gather around to beg.  It was hard, but everyone was instructed to ignore them.  There are certain rules about specific hands & gestures to use for communicating.  He happened to the wrong one and accidentally insulted someone.  

Trusted Contributor

I've had two longish stays in India and many experiences. But it is a large and diverse country! Your question is rather like asking what food tastes like! It completely depends on where you go and what you are looking for. India can be challenging because so much is unfamiliar at first. Or it can be a lot like anywhere else if you stay in western hotels and visit tourist destinations. It can be intensely beautiful or wretchedly uncomfortable. Lively or inspiring or difficult or irritating or fascinating or enervating. You won't know until you get there. Probably not relaxing! It will teach you and change you if you allow it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on what type of traveler you are.  If you enjoy a completely different culture, food, smells, I think India would be an adventure for you.  If you want more familiar surroundings, skip it.  In any event, I would go with the best tour operator I could afford.  

Personally, we've been toying with the idea of India for decades.  I don't think at this age, late 60s, I would want to deal with the poverty, crowding, etc. a trip there would entail.  We are looking at a cruise that stops at various ports in India for a total of about 5 days.  I think I could handle that.

Honored Contributor

I personally have not been to India. However I work for a large coporation that does a lot of International Travel to India.

I have been told by the ones who travel there that it is a country that if you are going to go without a Tour Operator, you really need to be a very seasoned traveler.

Your best bet would be to go with a very reputable Tour Group for your 1st time there.....

I think it would be very interesting, but also a little intimidating and scary, but with a known tour group, you should have fun and love the adventures......