Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Been to Bermuda?

HOneymooned THere in 1972.  STayed at The Hamilton Princess.  BEen back twice since.  last time was on a cruise that docked at King's Wharf.  A quiet, refined island.  VEry clean and tidy.  I did not see a single "slum"house or area anywhere.  I would recommend a taxi tour from one of the many taxis that will be lined up,at the pier.  THese drivers are native to the island and they know their stuff.  THey will take you to,all the important sights and love to talk about Bermuda.  Cheaper than the ship's tours.  I have found that the quality of shopping in Hamilton has declined  quite a lot since we honeymooned there.  A lot of the traditional Bermuda stores are gone now and been replaced with junky T Shirt and souvenir shops on Front Street.  A trip to Horseshoe Beach is always great and no one comes along and pressures you to get your hair braided or get a foot message.  VEry different from the Caribbean islands.  BErmuda has a lot of international banking headquarters and thus their standard of living is much higher than in the Caribbean islands.

Occasional Contributor

We took a cruise out of New York in the month of September to Bermuda! The island is very clean and the people are friendly! The beaches are beautiful! The sand is not hot to walk on! Horse shoe bay beach is fantastic! I would definitely go back !!

Esteemed Contributor

I would stay off the mopeds, we heard of many accidents.  Trimminghams was nice to shop in.  We did a cavern tour.  I didn't do a glass bottom boat tour there but I have done them other places and think they are fun.

Respected Contributor

Been on many cruises there bc we used to like to head to the islands or to Bermuda in the winter.  Bermuda is beautiful and the first time I took a cruise there we went on an excursion on a bus that toured the whole island.  The guide said there is little to no poverty and that you have to have ancestors from there to buy a home there (that may have changed).  For example, they said that Oprah tried to once buy a home there but was unable to do so; however, Michael Douglas's mother was from there and that's why they have property and a home there.  

The bus driver said that homes are extremely expensive and that the "average home at the time" was $450,000 and that was a tiny tiny place.  Think it was in Bermuda where they said that no matter what the inside of your house looks like, all Bermudian homes exteriors must be meticulously maintained and you could get something from the government (made it sound like a community HOA) telling you that your exterior's painting must be updated.  

Gorgeous island but other than fantastic beaches - not a lot to do but enjoy the scenery!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has been 8 or 9 years since we have been to Bermuda.  What we did was purchase a three-day transit pass, and it was good on all buses and ferries.  Our shipped docked at all three ports:  Hamilton, King's Wharf, and St. Georges.  The nice thing about Bermuda is that you can easily get to any of the piers by transit.

We were not impressed with the Swizzle Inn.  Found the food just okay for the money.  What we did like, which was right in Hamilton, was The Hog Penny Pub, which was owned by a family who has been on the island for hundreds of years.  My massage therapist grew up in Bermuda and she agreed that it was one of the best.

We also went to the aquarium, botanical gardens, and Crystal Cave.  I am not a cave person (claustrophobic), but no problems here and it is beautiful.  ,Since this was our first cruise, and we like to explore on our own, we did not take any of the ship's excursions.   The bus routes, and there is a large bus terminal in Hamilton, take you anywhere you want to go.

I will say that I did not actual shopping, except to look at the groceries (I always check them out when I travel).  Prices were outrageous.   We did a little shopping at King's Whart, where there was a festival going on.  

Beaches are beautiful, and the bus will let you right off at the beaches.  Go, relax, and enjoy.

Make sure to attend the ship's meeting about Bermuda.  Lots of info there.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen

I went on NCL a few years ago roundtrip from NYC to Bermuda. I believe I stayed 3 days in Bermuda. If you haven't done so - go to cruisecritic dot com. It gives you a lot of info. I will tell you what I did from memory.

I did not take any excursions but did it on my own for a lot less. You can take a look at excursions offered and see if you can do it on your own. I can tell you I saw the passengers at Horseshow Bay - they had to leave at a destinated time and I was still enjoying the rays.

I took public transportation or a taxi to these places - the site above gives all sorts of info and always has been helpful when I have gone cruising.

1st day - Horseshoe Bay - I think I took a taxi there.  I rented a lounge chair

If you want to lounge, read a book - this is heaven. Beach is pristine and stunning. Using my fins, I kicked along the length of the beach making sure with a hand touching the sand so I don't venture too far out. 

images.jpeg

2nd day - Tobacco Bay Beach - I got there via ferry and then a bus. We walked back to the ferry and it wasn't bad at all. This is a very small beach located in front of a bar/restaurant. I know, sounds weird. Not a lot of lounge chairs to be had but we went in May and a bit chilly so grabbing a chair in the morning was no problem (there is a fee). I love snorkeling and at this beach you can see fish. I creeped along the seawall and went deeper and saw big fish. In my head, they were big and colorful. I wouldn't go free swimming as I'm not that brave. I spent the entire time in the water clinging onto the seawall bopping along with the waves. They were gentle waves. There is fish if you stand thigh high. This was my favorite part of Bermuda bc of the snorkeling only..

887165.jpg

Last day we went to Snorkel Beach Park (entry fee) next to where my ship was docked King's Wharf.  Didn't want to venture too far away from the ship since I think we were sailing that evening.

images.jpeg

Enjoy!  

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey Awesome photos! Thanks for posting them. Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Went there on my honeymoon 43 years ago....beautiful place to visit, friendly people, did ride the mopeds....would not do that now....ha!  We stayed outside Hamilton.  Enjoyed shopping...and can't remember much else....it was a honeymoon....head in clouds...ha!  Hope to go back soon!  Enjoyed reading about those who have visited.....now I really want to get back.  

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler google image is my friend lol

just wanted the traveler to get a quick glance - a picture is worth a thousand words right?