Frequent Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Been to Bermuda?

One of my favorite places in the world. If you are a beach person go to Horseshoe Bay. They are only 1 of 2 beachs that rent chairs and umbrellas (which you definitely need!). 

If you are not a beach person there is some shopping. Kings Wharf has a small "mall" mostly souveniers but some regular shops. There is a glass blowing company where you can watch them make bowls, ornaments and jewelry. On the other side is the rum company and you can get rum cakes.

If you go to Hamilton to shop have a lot of money. Most of the shopping there is high end. You can get the ferry right from the wharf which is the quickest way and least expensive way to get there. I have never made it over to St. George but I'm told it is very quiet now that the cruise ships no longer dock there.

I have only been on a few excursions. We did a nighttime Bermuda Triangle tour, nothing to wright home about but it was a beautiful night and we watched the sunset and there was a full moon also. We also did a bike excursion and traveled around the Island to historic sights. We mostly do the beach since we love it so much.

You can purchase a bus pass for the days you are there and ride the bus anywhere you want to go. Prices are reasonable. 

Everyone is very friendly, the Island is clean and there are no people following you down the street begging you to buy something. I find it to be relaxing.

I hope you enjoy your time there and your whole cruise.....my favorite way to vacation!

Esteemed Contributor

I was on a cruise last year that stopped in Bermuda. Only one overnight, but we left in the late afternoon on day two so we had a couple of good days to see the island. In fact, I never considered myself a beach/island person, but loved Bermuda!

On day 1, I took a tour with Heidi at Byways Tours. Spent the full day touring the island with maybe 9 other people from my roll call. I was overcoming a cold, but still went on the ship's Bermuda Triangle tour that evening. Didn't feel well enough to go into the shops and restaurants by the ship that night and really should have stayed on board and skipped the excursion. But, I felt great the next morning and took the ferry to Hamilton to catch a bus that would loop around to the beaches. Yes, I could have just taken a bus to Horseshoe Bay, but then I would have missed taking a ferry. Plus, I didn't get off at Horseshoe Bay, but at another beach that we visited the day before. If you are up for walking, I walked on the sand and up hills to get to the far more crowded Horseshoe Bay. That's the important thing to remember about that beach - everyone goes there. That's where they have food and bathrooms. But, if you walk a little further away, you can have a more relaxing and quiet experience. Doesn't have to be as far as I walked, either! Then back to do some shopping at the dockyard and late lunch at Frog and Onion. Really enjoyed Bermuda and would not mind returning.

I know renting a moped is recommended. But, if you've never done so before, do not make this be your first time. Lots of accidents, including deaths. Just wouldn't do it, IMO.

Hope you have a great trip. So jelly you get so many days there!
Respected Contributor

Bermuda is a very very pretty, very British island with absolutely nothing to do and non existant night life. Shopping consists of overpriced useless souvenirs.

The only nice beach is Horshoe bay , like it was said above. But they have no beach fasciitis, you have to rent not very large umbrella,etc. Maybe if you gave your own beach umbrella, bring it with you, also bring towels. We had to wait in line for mbrellas because a few ships came to town and everybody went for the same thing.

Otherwise it was a lovely cruise, we had fun with a bunch of friends.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

What month are you going, the seas can get rough during hurricane season

We're going in the beginning of September. Thanks for the warning. I'll be extra careful.

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@Tylerpoo wrote:

Just got back from Bermuda about 2 weeks ago. We took a flight over and stayed at the Fairmont Southhampton. So my experience would  be different from yours because you will be docked at port. there were 2 ships from NY docked at the Naval Dockyard(NCI Breakaway and a MSC ship?) when we were there.

We visited Hamilton and St. Georges, spent a day at the beach and went on an hour long jet ski tour. There are so many tours and things to do, glass bottom boat, Rum Tasting cruise etc. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi @Tylerpoo ! I'm glad you had a great time there. Which excursions or sightseeing would you recommend?

Also, which jet ski tour did you book? Thanks!

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the posts, it sounds like Bermuda is perfect for us. We are not night life people and we don't really drink. We love to walk and we're simply looking to relax and get to know the people and the island.

I'll go to stores but I won't be doing any type of expensive shopping.  I just need to get away from NYC and be stress-free. I like that there are no street beggars etc.

Everything sounds so peaceful! I just want to relax!

~Live with Intention~
Valued Contributor

Google Island Tour Centre, most of your tours/activities will be there, there are other tour companies that may be offered by the cruise ship, but this is the one the Fairmont Southhampton uses.

Places to visit/do : As other have said if u like the beach, Horseshoe Beach. Which is right next to the private Fairmont Beach. Transportation is very expensive, the local bus will take u to Horseshoe Beach or share a cab with someone.

The museum at the dockyard

Glass bottom boat

Jet ski, there is a company located right next to where the ship docks.

Ferry Ride to Hamilton, shopping

Glassing blowing at the dockyard

Rum tasting cruise is very nice just for the scenery at sunset if u don't drink.

A lot of activities are located right where the ship docks, look at the ships outside activtiies when they are docked.

Good luck and have a good time.

Respected Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

From the posts, it sounds like Bermuda is perfect for us. We are not night life people and we don't really drink. We love to walk and we're simply looking to relax and get to know the people and the island.

I'll go to stores but I won't be doing any type of expensive shopping.  I just need to get away from NYC and be stress-free. I like that there are no street beggars etc.

Everything sounds so peaceful! I just want to relax!

Oh, yes! Relax you will do! We also strolled the pretty streets, ate ice cream, peeked into shops without even buying anything , except a porcelain dog from England as a present for my mother because she collects  them ( $$$$$$😱😱😱).

No beggars, no homelessness, police wearing Bermuda shorts!!! Very friendly people.

Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lived there for 5 years and loved the island. Would recommend Swizzle Inn for a fun place to visit but as you don't drink may not be a good recommendation! St. George has a wondrful old church and cute little shops.   Triminghams in Hamilton is a great store but expensive. Bring lots of money with you as everything is expensive. Would not recommend renting mopeds as there have been serious injuries and would be better to take a taxi or take a bus wherever you want to go on the island. The aquarium is also somewhere to go and don't forget the beaches - lots of pink sand and blue sea!

Wonderful island and the locals are so nice so enjoy your trip!

Honored Contributor

My parents vacationed in Bermuda staying at Elbow Beach and my Mom loved it, so much so she talked about it for many years

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.