Respected Contributor

I am going on a trip in a few months and will need to buy new luggage.  I've always had soft nylon luggage but I'm interested in hardside.  But not sure if I can adapt to it.  Anyone have any advice on how the switch would be?  For example, I've always felt that soft luggage has a bit of give to it, will I miss that with hardside?  I like the look and durability of hardside very much and that it's waterproof.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hardside vs soft luggage

We travel a lot and I've never had hard side luggage.  I like having pockets on the outside which I don't see on hard side.  My #1 priority now is the weight.  My preferred brand is Travel Pro.  We also rarely check our bags so weight and flexibility are most important to us.

Honored Contributor

I and all the women in my family have Samatha Brown luggage from HSN.  It's very attractive and people have good things to say about it.  When she appears to sell it, it sells out fast so its hard to find it in stock.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

My husband had a Delsey carry on that was hard sided and it cracked after a few uses to Europe.   

Super Contributor

I've done both and prefer soft-sided just for the reasons you mentioned:  the 'squishiness' and outside pockets.  Especially the latter.

Esteemed Contributor

Luggage comes in all grades of quality.  There are some brands which make soft luggage that is just as durable as hard cases.  For the better part of the last 30 years I have used the Atlantic brand almost exclusively.  I use their soft styles, but they are only water-resistent, not waterproof. I like the look of Samantha Brown's pieces (she makes a lot of bright colors which appeals to me because I never use plain black luggage).  I did try a Vera Bradley piece (during a phase where I was really into the brand) and I was quite disappointed.  The case I used for a couple of car travel weekends didn't hold up.  I can't imagine how awful that case would have looked like if it had traveled through airports and been carried onto planes to be stuffed into those horrible overhead compartments. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always had soft luggage since the introduction of the Crew Pro line from Travel Pro. I can't imagine using hard sided luggage. You give up a lot of flexibility and gain weight. Atlantic luggage is also pretty decent - it's the value priced line from Travel Pro. I know several people who've tried the Samantha Brown line and none of them had it survive the first trip as checked luggage. 

Just remember - luggage is to protect and transport your belongings safely. It's not to make a fashion statement. I would suggest you steer away from black bags, just because they all tend to look alike. The 26" CrewPro bag that I check is an absolutely hideous shade of maroon, but I know it's my bag when it comes around on the carousel!

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Hmm now I'm thinking perhaps just stick with soft luggage.  I do tend to overpack and need that stretch factor.  I have always had a boring black suitcase.  The look of hardside appeals to me as it comes in lots of designs and colors.  But practicality is ultimately the most important factor and extra weight is not something I can take on. My last suitcase I finally got a new spinner and after one trip (checked) a wheel broke off and I had to toss it.  I cannot remember the brand but I want to be careful with my next purchase finding something very good quality yet not insanely expensive.

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Hmm now I'm thinking perhaps just stick with soft luggage.  I do tend to overpack and need that stretch factor.  I have always had a boring black suitcase.  The look of hardside appeals to me as it comes in lots of designs and colors.  But practicality is ultimately the most important factor and extra weight is not something I can take on. My last suitcase I finally got a new spinner and after one trip (checked) a wheel broke off and I had to toss it.  I cannot remember the brand but I want to be careful with my next purchase finding something very good quality yet not insanely expensive.

This is why I don't like spinner bags. It's far too easy for a wheel to be snapped off in the luggage handling process. All of my bags have just 2 wheels, and they're partially recessed into the frame of the bag itself. Much harder to break a wheel off.

Did you file a claim with the airline to either be reimbursed to repair your bag or have it replaced? 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

This is why I don't like spinner bags. It's far too easy for a wheel to be snapped off in the luggage handling process. All of my bags have just 2 wheels, and they're partially recessed into the frame of the bag itself. Much harder to break a wheel off.

Did you file a claim with the airline to either be reimbursed to repair your bag or have it replaced? 

No I didn't, I didn't even think to do that.  I used to have the 2 wheel style bag all my life but when packed tightly they are a bit overwhelming to handle.