Trusted Contributor

I want to buy a new suitcase for my son. We can't decide on whether to buy a hard case or the soft kind that comes with a smaller bag that fits over the handle.  I also don't know if the extra smaller case counts as carry on or if the larger bag counts as carry on. If only the larger bag is carry on and goes in overhead bin, then the smaller one becomes like a purse or computer bag? But if you only are allowed one carry on, what happens to the smaller bag?  We are not big travellers so I just have to ask. Airline websites are not helpful to describe the process. 

Any advice will be helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HaAs longrd or soft-sided luggage?

[ Edited ]

As long as large bag is within a particular airline's stated size restrictions, that is your carryon. The smaller bag is our personal item ( same category as smaller backpack or a purse).  We only buy soft sided because they hold more and usually have a gusset around the middle that you can unzip and therefore add extra volume ( some hard cases also have this feature).The most important feature about luggage is that it is very light weight; I always include at least one empty reinforced nylon carryon that can be packed flat inside my suitcase.  More than once, this nylon case has saved me if they enforce weight restrictions ( Android my bigger bag is overweight). It is also useful for bringing back souvenirs.

Honored Contributor

Re: HaAs longrd or soft-sided luggage?

I haven't traveled in a few years, but I liked the soft-side ones with four wheels that let you spin them and easily move indifferent directions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hard or soft-sided luggage?

I bought a set of hard-sided luggage about 3 or 4 years ago. I never used it & gave it to my neighbor. If I wanted to access something in hard-sided luggage, it would be complicated.

I bought a new soft-sided set in February. With soft-sided luggage there are zip compartments on the outside that make it more convenient to access things.

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee 

I just returned from International travel and used hard cases; suitcases whether overhead or check-in should always be hard case because…ever see how baggage handlers handle suitcases and overhead cases can be crammed and smashed? lol

Esteemed Contributor

I travel regularly, and prefer durable PVC  luggage for travel ( I use Kathy Van Zeeland) so that I can stuff it if needed, and a hard shell 20 in. spinner with TSA zippered lock for my carry-on. You do not have to worry about theft if your carry-on is not in an overhead bin close to you where you can monitor it. Sadly, it happens more often than most people are aware of.😐 You can ask for your soft sided luggage to be wrapped in plastic if you are concerned about damage; especially when you travel internationally; at least Alaska has done this several times for me.  Check with each airline for their size requirements of the carry-ons.😊 Purses, a cross-body, diaper bags, backpacks, computer bags, dowel bags, etc, are personal items as long as they can fit under the seat in front of you. Big, stuffed backpacks are considered a carry-on. Hope this helps.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

I own a Millenial DS and he wants to replace his softside 2 piece with hardside for road trips.

He has a 26" with spinner wheels and collapsible handle with a 20" carryon. It's either American Tourister or Samsonite  He's hard on everything!

My own go to is a soft side weekender from Samsonite. Pockets galore. Recently added a Marcy McKenna hardside cosmetic case that's good for weekends. I do road trips prob 6x a year.

Respected Contributor

@geegerbee I spent 30 years travelling for business.  My vote is hard sided luggage with a zippered expansion slot.  I also have learned not to spend a fortune on luggage as the luggage handlers do so much damage.  Clothes packed in hard sided luggage rarely need to be ironed on arrival.  Toiletries are protected from being crushed as well.  Check out the wheels on luggage to see if they are protected in some way.  Always the first to get damaged.  Also, make sure the pull up handle is long enough for your son.  Nothing worse that handles too short for your stride as you go through the airport.

luggage is a great gift idea for the traveller.  LM

Respected Contributor

A very good friend of mine who flies often for business suggests getting hard-sided luggage.  Especially for a carry-on, the measurements will never change on it like they could for a soft-sided bag.  She said some airlines are very picky, and there is no question about the dimensions of hard luggage.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of good advice on here.   I travel a fair amount and have for many years.  I feel it's just a matter of preference whether you use hard side or soft side luggage.  We've had the same softside Samsonite luggage for many years now and they are still going strong.  The material is thick and can withstand a lot of abuse.   What I have found to be a Godsend are packing cubes!!   They keep everything neat, wrinkle free and are great for unpacking and placing in drawers in hotel or cruise ship, then easy repacking.  I have a system and it works well.   

As far as carry on size, that really should be universal but sadly it isn't and every airline has different requirements.  It's a must to read the particular airline you are flying to make sure you can actually carry on your bag.  We recently flew Air Canada and their overhead bins were really small, therefore forcing us to check a very small carry on bag as it didn't fit!   Also as others stated you are also allowed one personal item such as backpack, purse or in my DH's case his camera bag.