Esteemed Contributor

Re: HELP I am freezing to death in Florida!

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hmm it is 27 degrees right now in suburban NYC, I understand you are not used to close, but 50 degrees is not going to kill any one

You live in NYC.  It is something you are used to.  We are not.    

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I live east of NYC & we’ve been freezing our tails off. I know everything is relative but I can’t feel too sorry for you.Your temps will be back up in a day or so.Meanwhile we will continue to freeze!!

@NicksmomESQ  You are supposeed to freeze in NYC.    We are not.  This is the sunshine state.   At least it was.  This is the coldest that I have experienced since I moved here 15 years ago.   It has been cold way to long.   Goodbye oranges.  :0(

Esteemed Contributor

I have carried my orchids in and out so many times this year.   It is getting old.   Our low here is 27 tonight.   My hubby passed away 2 years ago in March.  We went to the Golden Coral about 2 yrs before that, and he took a seed from his lemon and grew a tree.  It is about 7 ft tall.   I just hope it survives.  I put a blanket over it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

I know how you feel when you move to a part of the country where we expect mild winters

I've lived in frigid areas ..so not saying I can't deal with the cold. I can.  

For me, it's more about having my frost sensitive landscaping surviving numerous nights of freezing temps. 

In CA, we've had a rather mild winter, temperature wise so far.  I have a few potted plants that I was ready to move inside...didn't need to do that, and it would be very unusual for us to have a frost from this point on...

@september   I know I have lost a lot already.  Everyone has.  I feel bad for the lady behind me.  She had the most beautiful plants in her yard, and I took a peek over the fence and everything is dead.   :0(  

Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

My only hope is that the Palmetto Roaches are out there freezing their little behinds off.  

This is just wrong -wrong-wrong.    I have locked myself into my bedroom with my duraflame heater.  I have 5 layers of clothes on.   I have so many blankets on top of me that turning over is not going to happen tonight. 

Stay Warm. 

Ok, how cold is it?

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

17 and it's a heat wave after -14.   Some folks had -35.  Enjoy you palm trees!

I had my palm tree cut down, I will have to enjoy my neighbors.  

Honored Contributor

Just think of all the weather has given you to talk about.  As for the orchids....promise them frequent flier miles.  You'll all survive and will be begging for relief from the heat in a few months (or less).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

My only hope is that the Palmetto Roaches are out there freezing their little behinds off.  

This is just wrong -wrong-wrong.    I have locked myself into my bedroom with my duraflame heater.  I have 5 layers of clothes on.   I have so many blankets on top of me that turning over is not going to happen tonight. 

Stay Warm. 

Ok, how cold is it?

Going to 27 tonight.    I took my trash out and thought I was going to freeze to death.   I have a Blue and Gold Macaw Parrot and I have several blankets on her cage  (she is in garage)  and she also has a electric heater on.  The good thing is that this will cool off the waters making hurricane season good.  We hardly had any cold weather last year, and look at the hurricanes we had.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Just think of all the weather has given you to talk about.  As for the orchids....promise them frequent flier miles.  You'll all survive and will be begging for relief from the heat in a few months (or less).

Not me.  I love the hot weather.  That is why I left Pa.  I was born to be a tropical babe.   LOL

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe  Do any homes in Florida have central heat?  Yes, this weather is quite strange.  I can't believe all the snow in the southern states and cold weather.  Last year in Chicago it was so mild it did not feel like winter at all.  This year it started getting back to the way it use to be -- cold, snow for weeks at a time.  I personally love winter and the snow but if you are now equipped for the cold or snow I know it must be difficult for you.  Stay warm.  You can send the snow up north!   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength